Author Topic: Avast! 4.8 (home) warning and how to run thorough scan  (Read 3325 times)

YXtanyaXY

Avast! 4.8 (home) warning and how to run thorough scan
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi,
Windows XP SP3. Avast antiviral 4.8
I was browsing and an Avast! 4.8 alert pops up saying it had blocked a Trojan and if I click on the link "about Avast!" it will stop downloading the Trojan. (The alert was in greyscale)
I did NOT click the link but shut down the browser (Firefox  3.05) and ran a scan with Avast! 4.8 which was negative. (I cannot figure out how to run a really thorough scan though).
Can someone advise I want to be sure the PC is clean (It is "acting" clean)
Thanks

spg SCOTT

Re: Avast! 4.8 (home) warning and how to run thorough scan
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
Hi YXtanyaXY, welcome to the forum :)

I would guess from the discription that this was a webshield alert. (see image - it is a different colour because I use a different skin.)

If you closed this or clicked on abort connection, then you should be fine. avast! has scanned a webpage you were about to view and it has found something malicious within. To protect you, it has stopped the page from loading before it reaches your browser.

As for running scans, I presume that you are using the media player skin? to change the scan levels, open up the scanner, click on local disks (on the right) and then a popup will appear for you to choose the scan level you desire.

-Scott-

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »
Hi YXtanyaXY, welcome to the forum :)

I would guess from the discription that this was a webshield alert. (see image - it is a different colour because I use a different skin.)

If you closed this or clicked on abort connection, then you should be fine. avast! has scanned a webpage you were about to view and it has found something malicious within. To protect you, it has stopped the page from loading before it reaches your browser.

As for running scans, I presume that you are using the media player skin? to change the scan levels, open up the scanner, click on local disks (on the right) and then a popup will appear for you to choose the scan level you desire.

-Scott-

Hi and thanks Scott,
I did not click on it. I did not think I should have to since I thought that the program should protect automatically.
I closed the browser windows right away.

Do you think it is still okay ?

I am rescanning now. I assume it would register if infected?
Thanks again!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »
Well, if you did not click on it, it would not have gone. When I close the browser, it still remains on the screen until you press abort connection OR click the red X in the corner...

Also
Firefox  3.05

You shoudl really update this...at the moment it is at 3.5.5

YXtanyaXY

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
Thanks again Scott,
The warning / alert did not remain on the screen so that is good news.

I'll look into Firefox 3.5.5.