Author Topic: PLEASE READ: a bug in the current update (4.1.412)  (Read 59158 times)

softwareguy

Re:PLEASE READ: a bug in the current update (4.1.412)
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2004, 06:59:55 AM »
Do you need help applying this beta update?
Or..?

Awake

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2004, 07:05:40 AM »
I also got this today not sure as to what to do other then i put it in the chest :::
>>:_CHEST_ANALYZE_:<<

Virus name: Win32:Zafi-B [Wrm]
Original file location: C:\DOCUME~1\ANNETT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_\unp2371363\Review.exe
Computer name: BARRETT
Transfer time: 12.06.2004 23:25:21
Modification time: 13.06.2004 04:25:22
Total size: 12800
Comment:

File ID: 4
Category: 1

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600) Service Pack 1

are they going to release an update tomorrow that will be less complicated????

softwareguy

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2004, 07:13:29 AM »
It seems that Avast caught a file that it (Avast Quick Scanner) extracted from an archive on your computer. Unless the file is important to you, it is safe to delete this from your computer. (Check your archives and make sure you have this file repaired or cleaned.)

And hopefully they will complete the update tomorrow. It should be available to the public once it is released.

Awake

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2004, 07:37:59 AM »
It seems that Avast caught a file that it (Avast Quick Scanner) extracted from an archive on your computer. Unless the file is important to you, it is safe to delete this from your computer. (Check your archives and make sure you have this file repaired or cleaned.)

And hopefully they will complete the update tomorrow. It should be available to the public once it is released.
...........................................................................................................................................................................................
Sry but I have no idea as to what you are talking about ,,,that Virus warning came off of an e-mail I got through my OutLook Exress from some one I have no idea who it is ....all I want to do is to know how to get rid of it ...

As for the ""Fix "" I sure hope it is soon ....I have ran one scan of my "" Local Disks "" the scan froze but then it completed ....telling me it was clean ...trying to run a Scan of my "" Folders"" at the present time but the Scan has frozen ...hoping it will start up again soon ....

Gillie2tat

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2004, 10:28:17 AM »
Note that servers.def is a text file - so I recommend to right click the link and select "Save as". If you left click it, it may open in your browser as text (as a page). In that case, you can simply copy&paste it to the corresponding file, but the first method is definitely more convenient.

Sorry Vlk but this is not clear for those who have never followed this procedure before.  What do you mean "copy and paste it to the corresponding file"?

I looked in C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast but there is no corresponding file there called servers.def, where do I look, which file do I open and once there is it a right click and open with Notepad again?

Running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

I'm learning an awful lot from you people...

Gillie2tat

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2004, 10:44:41 AM »
Found it, it's in the Setup folder within Avast (if anyone else is wondering this).  Do you just add the new coding to the text file and if so where (at the beginning or at the end) or do you delete the text from it and copy and paste?  Or is there something specific you delete and replace?

I apologise if there's something obvious I'm missing, I'm not a programmer.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2004, 12:21:25 PM »
Found it, it's in the Setup folder within Avast (if anyone else is wondering this).  Do you just add the new coding to the text file and if so where (at the beginning or at the end) or do you delete the text from it and copy and paste?  Or is there something specific you delete and replace?

As I said, you either replace the file by using the Save As method (and confirm with Yes when asked by your browser if you want to overwrite the existing version), OR you replace the contents of the file -- i.e. delete its current contents (completely) and paste the new contents instead.

BTW I DID say that the file is in <avast>\setup, didn't I? ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »
BTW I DID say that the file is in <avast>\setup, didn't I?

Yes you did, sorry and thank you for clarifying, so you just replace the whole file :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2004, 01:06:59 PM »
There's yet-another refresh at the beta location now (no need to download any new servers.def's if you've done that already -- just let avast do a program update).

2. Screensaver Selection Missing From Screen Saver Task. (See Below)

Should now be fixed.

3. Slidebar Problem Exists. (Tasks -> Resident Protection -> Script Blocking -> Set to normal.) (Double click Avast balloon -> Script Blocking -> Slider did not change to normal if it was at custom)
This is same for Standard Shield. Not really a big deal, but...

Well this can be caused by the fact that you "customized" it too much. I mean, the 'Set to High' and 'Set to Normal' buttons change only a couple of basic settings - not all of them. This is basically by design...

4. Explorer Results tab don't apply?

Also "fixed"now. (that was the same problem as with the Screen-Saver -- "special" tasks should be treated in a special way).

Thanks
Vlk

Gillie2tat

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
Sorry Vlk it isn't fixed, I'm still getting the same errors.  I cut and pasted the new servers.def file into the Avast/setup folder and told it to over-write the original as you instructed.

I'm attaching my log so you can see which files are affected for the next fix.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2004, 02:12:33 PM »
Try searching your hard drive for a file called aswEngin.dll . There should be only ONE occurence - in the avast folder. Are there any other copies on your hard drive?

Thanks
Vlk

Gillie2tat

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2004, 03:07:51 PM »
Yes there was just one copy of this aswEngin.dll file and it was in the correct c:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast folder.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2004, 03:26:24 PM »
And it's got yesterday's timestamp?

Gillie2tat

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2004, 04:12:12 PM »
Hope the screenshot has the info you want.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2004, 05:06:36 PM »
EDIT:

Build 4.1.416 here and I still can not configure my screen saver... I don't know why is that happening...

Any thoughts ?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 05:19:31 PM by S.Z.Craftec »