Author Topic: PLEASE READ: a bug in the current update (4.1.412)  (Read 59163 times)

Awake

Re:PLEASE READ: a bug in the current update (4.1.412)
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »
Is there a simple update that we can do other then looking for certain files ????

Awake

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2004, 07:37:12 PM »
Pleaseeeee tell me how I can get the download for this Fix before I need to take off a Virus ...and run everything in Safe Mode .....What would happen if I uninstalled Avast then reinstalled it would that correct everything ......would I need to have a new Reg Key ?????

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2004, 08:00:34 PM »
Calm down Awake... no need to worry so much...

Here is Vlk's advice how to update avast!, just read it careful:

How to install it:
1. Download the file http://cat.asw.cz/beta-bart2/servers.def and place it to the <avast>\setup folder (overwrite the existing file) -- see comments below on how to download the file.
2. Invoke avast! program update (will require reboot).

That's about it.

Note that servers.def is a text file - so I recommend to right click the link and select "Save as". If you left click it, it may open in your browser as text (as a page). In that case, you can simply copy&paste it to the corresponding file, but the first method is definitely more convenient.

Just click with right mouse button on that link Vlk gave us, and select SAVE TARGET AS... Then save that file into c:/program files/Alwil sofwtare/avast4/setup subdirectory... of course, you have to overwrite existing file. After that, just manually invoke program update (go to sphere icon in system stray, right click it, and choose UPDATING and then PROGRAM UPDATE... and that's it... when updating is finished it will ask you to reboot... simple...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:04:35 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2004, 08:21:16 PM »
Just a quick note, since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here -- if you haven't already put the patch in, don't worry about it.  4.1.416 was already available as a "full" version by the time I got online today about 1:30 PM EDT.

I'd meant to post last night that (for me, at least) the patch seemed to work just fine for getting rid of what in effect were additions to the Exclusions list.  But that's history now, thanks team.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:22:19 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Gillie2tat

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2004, 08:26:10 PM »
Yes I just downloaded the latest update the normal way and everything's fine now.  Thanks Vlk for all your help!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »
Well people, screen saver still has problems with configuring it... if you go with right click on your desktop and choose PROPERTIES, then SCREEN SAVER... choose avast acreen saver and press SETTINGS... nothing... nothing, at least in here... I can't configure that screen saver any more... what should I do Vlk ?

Gillie2tat

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2004, 08:40:05 PM »
yes what I meant was that the Aspack and speed problem is resolved.  Now that you mention it, I select my screensaver exactly the same way as you do and it's doing much the same as yours- a black screen appears in the monitor preview of the Screensaver selector when I select the Avast screensaver and there's nothing to configure.

In addition because I have the Anfy software on my puter it's wanting to launch the Anfysave when I select it.  Maybe there's a conflict between the two.  All Anfy does is make Java applets using JPGs and GIFs and it does have a save as screensaver function which I have never used because I make screensavers through the My Pictures function in XP.  So why it's wanting to launch when I select the Avast screensaver I fail to understand.  It is listed in my screensavers though.

I didn't spot this earlier because I didn't know what was normal for Avast and what wasn't, but I'm getting to know how it works better now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:40:51 PM by Gillie2tat »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2004, 08:51:41 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... Don't worry Gillie2tat, Vlk will fix that too soon... I'm 100% sure.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »
For me everything works fine (finally :) ) except Explorer Extension settings which i cannot save. Explorer Extension doesn't save itself,but it creates new task instead.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2004, 09:46:53 PM »
Build 416 is now in the release stream. It should have all known problems solved.

All beta users: please change the servers.def file to the original (release) one -- can be download from here: http://www.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def . That's about it.

Thanks to everyone who helped to work on this issue. An amusing weekend I've got to say... :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2004, 09:53:05 PM »
Thanks,just updated :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2004, 10:38:54 PM »
Now this is what i call really damn fast :) Great job Alwil for this fix,now Explorer Extension is working again :D

moses_x

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2004, 10:58:00 PM »
Thank you !!! I'm in love with this software ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:01:07 PM by moses_x »

cousindave

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2004, 11:25:19 PM »
I must admit I am impressed with the speed with which these gliches get corrected and this forum in general. ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2004, 11:46:18 PM »
Welcome CousinDave, and stick around...

You'll see why these forums are the greatest...

Cheers !