Author Topic: Outlook provider problem  (Read 3814 times)

3holepunch

Outlook provider problem
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:02:12 PM »
I was hoping someone might offer some suggestions to fix an Avast/Outlook provider problem.

Everything was working fine.  Then (stupidly, perhaps) I tried using the new AIRoboForm feature to import my Outlook contacts to use as RoboForm contacts.  My system froze during this import attempt.  

The next time I opened Outlook, I got a message that there had been a serious error involving one of the Avast files, and it prompted me to disable and then later re-enable the add-in.  So I disabled the plug-in at the error prompt and proceeded to re-enable Avast using the Outlook plug-in manager.  So, according to Outlook, the Avast plug-in is now enabled.

However, Avast tells me (even when Outlook is up and running) that the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.

I tried using the Add/Remove Programs tool to “repair” the Avast installation.  This didn’t help.

I then used the Add/Remove Programs tool to uninstall and then reinstall the Outlook provider component.  This didn’t help either.

Finally, I completely uninstalled Avast, deleted all the files from its Program Files directory, cleaned my registry as best I could, and then reinstalled Avast.  Still no luck.

Outlook still tells me that the Avast plug-in is enabled, but Avast no longer recognizes when Outlook is started.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND EXACTLY HOW OUTLOOK AND AVAST INTERACT???
- What files are used?
- What exactly happens when you install the Avast Outlook provider?
- What settings are changed?
- Are there scripts or configuration files somewhere that affect the interaction?
- How is Avast supposed to "know" when Outlook is running?
- How can you completely remove Outlook’s “knowledge” of Avast so that any corrupt files can be removed and replaced?

I appreciate any insights anyone has that might help me troubleshoot this.  Thank you!

P.S., I’m using: XP, Outlook 2003 and Avast 4.1.412

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Outlook provider problem
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 05:16:06 PM »
OK, that's easy.

Please navigate yourself to the Outlook Aboux box and click 'Disabled Items'. Then remove the avast plugin (the About box is an obvious place to find this stuff, right?  :))

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

3holepunch

Re:Outlook provider problem
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 10:49:52 PM »
Of course...How could I have missed the "obvious!"  That did the trick.

Thanks for the solution and for your quick response.