Author Topic: Questions about Avast & Sygate  (Read 4375 times)

Beaky

Questions about Avast & Sygate
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »
Hi, sorry if this offens anyone, but I have moved this post and started a new thread as it seems to have been ignored at the end of the tread where I orginally posted it!

As it is the weekend, I have had more time to think about the Sygate + Avast problems and fully read the forums and spoken to a few friends about it.  I now have more questions than awnsers, would anyone like to comment as your help and advice as usual, would be gratefully received!

1. From Viks previous posting:
Quote:
believe the problem lies in the fact that the program that is used to do the updates (avast.setup - this is really the name of the executable - no .exe extension) does NOT exist on the disk most of the time. It is temporarily flushed to the disk, launched and consequently deleted after it completes -- this happens with each and every update attempt.
Does this mean that we can expect a solution to this problem at the next Avast update?

2.  Users who posted about problems this time do not appear to be the same people who had trouble at the last program update, does this mean that the solutions posted last time were correct and everyone who adopted them didn't have a problem?  I'd be intrested to hear from any of the users who found the solutions worked!

3. Not everyone using Avast + Sygate experience problems with program updates. I am using Windows XP Home Edition with the latest patches, and this is the first time that I have had any problems, why? Looking at my setup compared with the last update, the only differences I can see are new Windows patches, and I have installed Spyguard version 2.2 and AnologX script defender 1.02, could either of these programs be the common cause?

I really like using both Sygate and Avast4, this time I took the quick solution and reinstalled Sygate which worked.... But I don't fancy having to do this at each program update.

I would be grateful for any advice or to just to hear your views on the above questions.

Many Thanks,

Beaky

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Questions about Avast & Sygate
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 01:32:48 AM »
Didn't you answer your own question in this thread:

These Problems have happened before at the last program update, I believe that the solution has already been  posted in this forum by others, please follow this link http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4558;start=msg32919#msg32919

If you look again in that thread, post by IsoG:
avast! has run with sygate on my pc for about half year, but it is no problem after avast! updatings.   My settings are as follow,

ADVANCED RULE
IP Address:
Applications:
  avast! antivirus service, aswupdsv.exe, Virus scanner, avast! e-Mail Scanner Service

APPLICATIONS
  avast! antivirus service, avast! e-Mail Scanner, avast! service GUI component, aswUpdSv.exe, avast.setup, Virus scanner

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

moses_x

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 01:51:15 AM »
I'm using avast with sygate with no problem in 3 diferent PCs. In only one i've had a problem with the update, asking permission all the time, even i've had allowed it. I've solved this problem reinstalling Sygate.

Beaky

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks for resonding to my email, yes I have added the advance rules to Sygate as suggested by IsoG and others.  Hopefully this will cure the udate problem!

I was quite happy with this solution until I had a conversation with a friend who suggested the cause may be something else. This was because although we both have Windows XP Home, Avast4 and Sygate 5.5, it only on my system that this problem occured.  The other interesting fact is he has never had this updating problem, his Sygate Firewall has no advance rules and anti-hijacking is switched on.  The other thing I find strange is although other people have reported these problems both here and on the Sygate forum after previous updates; this is the first time in two years that I have have encountered any problems.

I hope this explains why I asked the questions after my previous emails clearly pointed the way to the solutions.

I think that I have done this subject to death for now, I suspect that with the other problems concerning this paricular Avast update, I will soon have the oppertunity to test IsoG's solution for myself!  

Many Thanks,

Beaky

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 04:41:18 AM »
Beaky, be smart, today we have two updates: from 4.1.107 to 4.1.112 and then to 4.1.118. Maybe your firewall will warn the updates and 'new' programs will ask for permition to connect the Internet  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Beaky

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 06:45:07 PM »
Well I returned home from work, and switched on my computer and the Avast pop up window informed me that there was a new program update waiting to download.  This time I was more than a little aprehensive about allowing it to upadate, but the program downloaded without an hitch and asked me to re-start my computer.  Now this where the fun usually starts as soon as Avast asks to access the net for the first time in order to check for updates.  So what happened this time? Absolutely nothing not one Sygate popup, wow no problems!

So many thanks to everyone who offered me advice and especially the guys who posted the solution in the orginal thread.

Just in case you are reading this post because you are currently having the same problem, here is a link to the good guys on the other thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4558;start=msg32919#msg32919

:D