Author Topic: Help removing Win32:Malware-gen  (Read 5295 times)

BrokenHalo

Help removing Win32:Malware-gen
« on: December 06, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
Hey gang..

Need some help removing Win32:Malware-gen --- I use avast! 4.8 Home Edition.. running Windows XP Media Center Edition.. it says it has affected A0033081.exe as well as A0033510.exe and most annoyingly Nero7014b.exe

This causes Windows Installer to star upon booting up the computer and will also randomly attempt to install Nero, which is already installed.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated - this is the third forum I have posted on and so far nobody has offered help!

Thanks,
Halo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help removing Win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 05:52:03 PM »
Is this a legit copy of Nero ?
I'm curious because of the file name unless this relates to the version number ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

~~~~
I don't see why this would cause the windows installer to start on booting to install Nero.

####
Infected Restore Points - There really is little benefit in chasing a detection in the system volume information folder. It is only there because it had previously been deleted or moved from the system folders and this is a back-up created by system restore.

- Worst case scenario it isn't infected and you delete it, you can't use that restore point in the future, not much of a loss and the older the restore point is the less of an issue it is.

- So if there is any suspicion about a restore point then it is best removed from the system volume information folder or it could bite you in the rear at some point in the future when you use system restore if it included that restore point.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security