Author Topic: AVAST thinks that Nexus.exe and spybot dll contain Win32:Delf-MZG trojan  (Read 37352 times)

Doctor Memory

Re: AVAST thinks that Nexus.exe and spybot dll contain Win32:Delf-MZG trojan
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »
 I have home and I am on XP Pro SP2 with all the patches to current. Mine thinks PSPad is a virus along with Glary Utilities. In PSPad the majority of the false positives are in DLLs. Although it did say the PSPad.exe was a virus as well (presumably because it calls the DLLs). So much was coming up with "Win32:Delf-MZG trojan" that I am reluctantly turning it off.
 To do so I went into services by left clicking the start button -> choosing "run" -> and then typing "services.msc" then click "Ok". Once in there I set everything with the Avast! name to disabled. If you do that you will get a pop up asking if it is ok to do so. Make sure you know what you are doing. I then went into start -> run -> (then type) msconfig (click "Ok") -> then click on the tab labeled "startup" I then and unchecked ashDisp the command portion should be ashDisp.exe where you installed Avast!. I am about to restart and be VERY careful until a fix is posted...
 They need to make an announcement and get a fix out pronto. They also need to update their forum. I can't count the number of timeouts I got trying to get on to add this info.

lpg_unit

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:59 AM »
Yep, as it turns out, Avast is doing it wrong:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/23da9d328d176b73cabc2617edee989f5d3e729ef67dfa1de84cdb0fb56223fd-1256742321

Scanned several files, and it seems as though the definitions have caused the AV to go loco and flag Delphi-written code as crap.

AshAU

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »
"well everyone following security has heard/anticipated that avast was gonna get hit hard due to their popularity, guess it's time."

Who is "everyone"? Very few who have a real idea about the subject at hand would suggest such a thing.
The company knows the user base numbers and adjusts staffing and support levels. You don't think they know IP's and traffic numbers for definition downloads? I would think they can tell you active monthly user levels within 10k or so.

"The backlash from this will be superlative-word-of-your-choice, I'll try catastrophic.  Mom & Dad are just gonna vault everything that comes up suddenly virus, pity them their next reboot, no spybot/teatimer, THAT is for certain."

This sort of situation is not unusual and talking it up is silly. Yes, it's not good but it also happens quite often with most products and at some stage you can bet all of them have the same issues. Try dealing with some of the other companies on a commercial level....

"Bitdefender has a nice special price that I was already debating since avast missed malware and led me to bleeping computer to fix it (bitdefender on-line scan is the final check).  Sorry, I wanna be faithful and all, but if my kids had destroyed all of our computers following avast's recommended action I'd be in deep drek."

Expecting an AV program to pick up most or all Malware shows a total lack of knowledge. You need a three tier protection method and all of them will over lap (FW, AV, malware). What would your kids be doing unsupervised on the pc and why would they not simply call you and ask about the problem? Why would you be in "drek"? No backup plans in place?

"I'm thinking corporate espionage or a bigger problem than we are all aware of yet - there is just no simple explanation of an error of this magnitude."

I'm thinking that it's often better to learn more about a subject than post ;) It's a mistake, most of the companies have had them on a similar level in one form or another. I deal with many AV companies to resolve issues like this, often. It's not that usual to have it on this scale BUT it DOES happen.

No real idea why this is such a big problem for most of you. It was reasonably clear there was a problem, pause or stop the program, google and check with something else. We find in this case there is a issue so we simply wait some hours for a fixed update. We can still work and play, your system should still have two tiers of protection left and at most you don't take risks while online.

"regardless, it is a truly sad day at our house"

Send me your address and I will post a big box of tissues for you.

We do need to be clear, this should NOT have happpened but this is far from the worst supported or most likely programs to have issues like this. It should be fixed within a few hours and is not likely to happen again for some time.

DemonI81

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 05:30:57 PM »
"We do need to be clear, this should NOT have happpened but this is far from the worst supported or most likely programs to have issues like this. It should be fixed within a few hours and is not likely to happen again for some time."

You're right, this should NOT have happened. You may also be right on your other points, but the fact is, Avast dropped the ball in a big way. I new 90% of my programs didn't get infected right after an Avast update so I uninstalled and installed AVG again. Did a scan and it was good.
Today I googled the supposed virus and found this thread.

Honestly Avast, this is inexcusable. As many have said, the people that are not tech savvy could have been really damaged by this. As I said, I uninstalled your program immediately and it's going to stay that way. If you can't even put out a proper definition update I want you nowhere near my PC.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »
Can this be the biggest blunder by a security software provider?

I am doing a research about it
 >:( >:( >:(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »
Not by a long way - Don't waste your time they, the major AVs have all had big issues and many much worse than this. One I recall from memory was AVG which deleted a number of system files rendering the computer unbootable I believe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security