Author Topic: Win32:Zbot - MKK, Win32:Delf-MZG  (Read 2262 times)

EJI92207

Win32:Zbot - MKK, Win32:Delf-MZG
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:50 AM »
Avast reported a trojan virus Win32:Zbot - MKK and would not allow me to move the file to the virus chest. In an attempt to research the virus i opened the internet and recieved another virus alert Win32:Delf - MZG, which occurred every time i opened internet explorer. Both viruses were contained in .dll files, 1 in Adobe Bridge CS3 and the other in Spybot S & D. I was unable to take any action or schedule a boot scan, so I restarted the computer and entered into safe mode. As soon as Avast was opened it reported the Zbot-MKK alert (memory infection) and from here i scheduled a boot scan. The boot scan deleted all files containing either one of these infections without allowing for me to decide what action to take (a lot of files were reported and deleted). When the computer started up again I had lost use of several programs, Super DVD Creator, Spybot S & D, and Ad-Aware (i run several anti-virus engines on command, and have avast as my real time protection). So i scanned my pc with avast, malwarebytes, and superantivirus w/ no reports of viruses. Afterwards I uninstalled the programs that weren't working and reinstalled them (all except Ad-aware, seems to conflict with avast in the past so I chose to leave it off). Now these programs are working fine and I've checked all of my other software and files and everything seems okay. Are there any addittional steps I should take, or anything i should permanently erase (I usually will use Eraser although i've never successfully erased unused disk space from my OS). Just hoping for some insight as I worry too much about infections, i'm not too sharp with the pc stuff so I put blind faith into Avast and my other scanner programs.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Win32:Zbot - MKK, Win32:Delf-MZG
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

EJI92207

Re: Win32:Zbot - MKK, Win32:Delf-MZG
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
I followed the link to the post that you gave me, my vps was already up to date (it's on auto update) and the virus chest does not contain any files from yesterday when this incident occurred. There are no new files in the chest, only the ones that i have put there previously. Is there any way to know if my registry was affected? I'd prefer to not do a system restore if I don't have to, I do have an external backup hard drive (Seagate) of my OS but i haven't updated it for about 3 months and i'm not sure if I should restore using this and then update all programs to current versions, i'd rather not because i'd lose some files that i've added since the last time i updated my backup.