Author Topic: 369 cannot read files on first scan of XP Pro?  (Read 3021 times)

deboernk

369 cannot read files on first scan of XP Pro?
« on: June 13, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »
Any reason that I should have 369 cannot scan files on the first pass of a new laptop computer with XP Pro on it? They all look like Windows files. Problem is, how to tell in the future which files not to delete? I have had Avast on my home computer with XP Pro before that and I did not have  this problem. In the past I have just deleted any and all files that the program could not delete to be safe. But I don't want to delete these files on a brand new install. It would be nice if the program could mark them somehow so that they would not appear in the future.    ??? :-\

Any ideas appreciated. I like Avast compared to other popular anti-virus programs because it does not seem to have the overhead that the others have. I have had McAfee and Norton both and so far Avast seems better than either one.  I have to somehow figure out how not to delete these 369 files in the future?

softwareguy

Re:369 cannot read files on first scan of XP Pro?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 02:03:59 AM »

deboernk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 08:13:51 PM »
Could very well be as I did not have this problem in the past when scanning for viruses on my old XP Pro system. Makes sense that it may well be due to a bug in an update.

I "assume" that Avast must know about this bug and be working on a cure for it?  I have just deleted the files that Avast could not read in the past. But these looking like XP system files so I did not do that. Thank the Gods for that.

I appreciate your prompt reply.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 04:56:00 AM »
Deboernk, files that cannot be scanned do not mean infected files.
They could be lock by Windows, could be password protected, etc.
Only if you post the results we can guide you better  ;)
The best things in life are free.