Author Topic: firefox and script blocker  (Read 7898 times)

crotherm

firefox and script blocker
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
Does avast script blocker support firefox?  if not when?  I did a forum search and the most recent is from last year.

thx

pmjg

Re: firefox and script blocker
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
i use noscript as a firefox add-on as recommended here,works great.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Does avast script blocker support firefox?  if not when?  I did a forum search and the most recent is from last year.

thx

to answer your question: obviously the goal of the script shield in Avast is to take care of any browser, and even other internet connected clients, which I suppose it does...(confirmation needed). I personaly tend to favor the NoScript extension in Firefox which is more and more configurable, while the script shields is not at all. But this supposes you use Firefox as your default browser, otherwise you need other solutions, and avast script shield may be one of them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
Script Blocker cannot work with Firefox: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14879.msg125840#msg125840

The browser extracts the scripts from the page and passes them to Script Blocker. It scans them for viruses and if everything is OK, the browser continues execution. There's no whitelist... and the scanning itself shouldn't affect the execution in any way.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
@ tech:
The browser extracts the scripts from the page and passes them to Script Blocker

so not with Firefox right ? (according to the other thread)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
@ tech:
The browser extracts the scripts from the page and passes them to Script Blocker

so not with Firefox right ? (according to the other thread)
No Firefox.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
OK good to know, I never used it in V4 (non-pro) and hardly payed attention when I tried the suite of V5.

crotherm

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »
Script Blocker cannot work with Firefox: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14879.msg125840#msg125840

The browser extracts the scripts from the page and passes them to Script Blocker. It scans them for viruses and if everything is OK, the browser continues execution. There's no whitelist... and the scanning itself shouldn't affect the execution in any way.

The entry you posted is over 4 years old.  I did find that post and hoped things would have changed by now.

crotherm

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »

thanks for all the info...  I guess noscript is my answer.