Author Topic: If you are getting virus alerts please read! (Win32:Delf-MZG (Trj))  (Read 60187 times)

zone12

The recent avast! VPS update has a serious flaw inside it, various files are being marked as "Win32:Delf-MZG (Trj)". Some of the common files being marked as this false positive include Skype and Spybot S&D.

Apart from marking various files as this virus, the new update brought a crippling threat to the windows operating system. Accounts are vague but some are reporting that the new update may hinder the windows operating system's boot.If you have updated avast during the last 48 hours do not restart your computer!This is caused by avast scanning the starting files, during this process it will mark a file as hazardous and will not allow you proceed without aknowledgement, being that this is happening during the time in which windows loads there is no possable way to give aknowledgement to the program therefore putting the computer at a standstill.

Possable workarounds

1. Besure to determine if your avast has been updated by finding your Spybot S&D folder and scaning the updater.

2. Asuming that it detects it as the false positive, open up msconfig and uncheck avast scripts in the services tab and the startup tab.

2.1 Going to the avast settings (Right click on icon 4th down) then going to the trouble shooting tab.Finally check the second box"Delay of loading of avast" may also work

bonehenge

Re: If you are getting virus alerts please read! (Win32:Delf-MZG (Trj))
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:28:12 AM »
The recent avast! VPS update has a serious flaw inside it, various files are being marked as "Win32:Delf-MZG (Trj)". Some of the common files being marked as this false positive include Skype and Spybot S&D.

Apart from marking various files as this virus, the new update brought a crippling threat to the windows operating system. Accounts are vague but some are reporting that the new update may hinder the windows operating system's boot.If you have updated avast during the last 48 hours do not restart your computer!This is caused by avast scanning the starting files, during this process it will mark a file as hazardous and will not allow you proceed without aknowledgement, being that this is happening during the time in which windows loads there is no possable way to give aknowledgement to the program therefore putting the computer at a standstill.

Possable workarounds

1. Besure to determine if your avast has been updated by finding your Spybot S&D folder and scaning the updater.

2. Asuming that it detects it as the false positive, open up msconfig and uncheck avast scripts in the services tab and the startup tab.

2.1 Going to the avast settings (Right click on icon 4th down) then going to the trouble shooting tab.Finally check the second box"Delay of loading of avast" may also work

Or as I had to since it completely crippled my Email, Uninstall and now that I know, I'll just have to sandbox EVERYTHING and wait for an update.

Really, this is bad... I am glad I was not inclined to reboot before I read this, now I'm glad I did uninstall as I know Pocomail is clean, avast would not even let me install it from a fresh download from the official site.

And can someone please make it so that when the "Hey I've just done something!" alert pipes up, there is a way to CLOSE it rather than wait 5 hours for it do drop back down, or open up a new window; gaming sucks with it, movies suck with it, intrusive "LOOK AT ME!" things just suck.

Ugh, I'm wearing no clothes without a AV at the moment, I feel naked.

chgoguy7

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »
Win32:Delf-MZG [Trj] on hundreds of files throughout my system!!!!

This is an incredibly egregious error, Avast. I have suggested wholeheartedly and without hesitation that my friends and family convert to Avast and I am now red-faced in light of this immense screw-up. I am willing to stick with Avast as I have had many positive experiences with it in the past, but I MUST receive an e-mail acknowledging of the problem, that includes what specifically caused the problem, and how the issue will NOT BE REPEATED in the future. I need to assure all of my friends and family using Avast that the Avast is indeed safe, and frankly at this point my confidence is severely shaken.

Please explain what the heck happened and how this error will not be repeated in the future!!!

Offline nice3z

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
This is worst than a virus!
Avast just managed to delete most of my exe and dll before I could stop it. Now I have to reinstall everything...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »
Folks, before taking any radical action, update to the latest VPS version, then re-scan and restore any files in the chest.
Hopefully that will make the need to re-install programs unnecessary.

It's indeed a big glitch. News of it is all over the web. I was mainly unable to use the forum, due to server load, and I bet I wasn't the only one. Unfortunately what that meant is that a lot of the helpers with a bit above average knowledge might not have been available to help.

Some people have lost their OS. (Especially those who hit "delete" instead of "quarantine''.) But some have computers that won't boot, now.  :-[
Let's wait and see what the Avast folk have to say about it first, rather than starting a rant thread.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

crumply

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »
What could they possibly say that would make a rant unjustified?

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »
Here is the official statement: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51647
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

crumply

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
Okay.  Rant justified.  One of the largest software f-ups I have ever seen.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
Sure. Rant justified. If it makes you feel better. Can't say I really blame you.
I think the largest one I ever saw was when Symantec issued an update that pretty much made all Chinese language versions of Windows unbootable.
Since a fair percentage of those installations were likely pirated, the jury is still out as to whether it was a good or a bad thing, IMO.

Rangersfan527

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
When I had all those false positives with the VPS update, Avast said I should restart and do a boot-time scan to stop other viruses. So when I rebooted, everything that was flagged I put in the chest. This included
System Volume Information\_restore files and files with the original location as C:\WINDOWS\System32 and C:\WINDOWS\CREATOR. I'm afraid to reboot again and then have problems booting correctly. Besides restoring all the files that were put in the chest, is there something else I should do?

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
Okay.  Rant justified.  One of the largest software f-ups I have ever seen.

I'm not sure I'd say "Rant justified", Everyone makes mistakes, It's called being Human.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
When I had all those false positives with the VPS update, Avast said I should restart and do a boot-time scan to stop other viruses. So when I rebooted, everything that was flagged I put in the chest. This included
System Volume Information\_restore files and files with the original location as C:\WINDOWS\System32 and C:\WINDOWS\CREATOR. I'm afraid to reboot again and then have problems booting correctly. Besides restoring all the files that were put in the chest, is there something else I should do?

Please try restoring the files from the chest first.
Details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51643.msg436955#msg436955
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
I'd be inclined to hit f8 repeatedly during the bootup, and select "last known good" configuration. It's a bit of a guess on my part, frankly, or use a system restore point for a time before Avast did that boot scan.

Rangersfan527

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »

Please try restoring the files from the chest first.
Details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51643.msg436955#msg436955

I did this and some files said "cannot be restored because the original location is not defined"

crumply

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
It's just a mistake?

Sorry I just crushed your kid with my SUV.  It was a mistake.  It's called being human.

A mistake is dropping a glass of milk.  Destroying operating systems all over the world qualifies as something more than a mistake.