Author Topic: Win32:Delf-MZG  (Read 20366 times)

pscraja

Win32:Delf-MZG
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:23:13 AM »
I am using avast home.
Only yesterday, I had run avast and cleared. Today when I opened the system, avast has showed several files infested with Win32:Delf-MZG trojan.

Is this a false positive?  I didn't want to take a risk and hence I did scanning the main windows system folder as well as utilities partition.

When I ran, It runs to several hundred. When I click to quarantine, it doesn't move the file. but gives a message that there is no space. I had then selected move/rename. When the disk is having almost 8gb of space in the partition, why avast says that there is no space in the disc. I have attached the snapshot of the message.

Is there a trojan removal tool for this trojan or should dI go thro' scanning all the drives?

Kindly advise.  Thank you.

pscraja

ThurstonX

Re: Win32:Delf-MZG
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »
I will bet my incredibly devalued house that this is a false positive.  Here's why:

1. Updated 2 PCs manually (this is why I don't do automatic virus def. updates) and rebooted. The PC running Win XP Pro immediately showed avast! warnings for the above trojan for apps I've been running for years (e.g., Atomic Clock Sync, PowerStrip, MagicDisc, Net Activity Diagram, AutoGK during a boot-time scan.... yeah, I canceled that nonsense immediately)

NB: avast! running on Vista Home Premium DID NOT throw up a boot-time warning on Atomic Clock Sync, even though that app starts at boot, but a manual scan of Atomic.exe claimed the trojan was present... so, avast! on Vista failure???

2. A PC that is running an earlier version of the VPS file (pre-Dec. 3, 2009) displays no boot-time warnings, nor finds said trojan on a manual scan of Atomic.exe.

Thankfully I only moved a few things to the Virus Chest, but restore didn't do much (said it restored successfully, but attempting to start Atomic.exe didn't work). Also couldn't copy the Atomic Clock Sync installer from a NAS to local HDD until disabling avast's on-access scanner(s). Install was fine after that, of course.

Until this is fixed (hopefully on Dec. 4) the solution is No Action or Continue when that trojan is "found." May be prudent not to ignore claims of other viruses found, however.

Hope that helps.

Helluva first post.  forum.avast.com was so hammered I didn't think I'd be able to register ;-)

Bruce920

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:15:28 AM »
Hey, I signed on here to post about my problem and I see that I'm not alone!  I have the exact same problem that you and some others do.  I hope the admins reply soon about this problem - I can't let Avast keep destroying my programs.

I just got an email from my friend - who also has this problem!

Hopismum

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »
Same issue here.
I have lost several programs so far.
When reinstalling them Avast goes off again and if I ignore it,  I cannot access the programs and am told I do not have permission to use them.    I rarely come here for help but this is getting serious as others here can attest.  I have highly recommended and installed Avast on many of my local friends computers.   Ive been getting calls from them for over an hour now asking me what to do.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:25:22 AM by connie »

Bruce920

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »
I updated the virus defs to version 091203-1  and I think that works.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
Bruce, have you tried scanning to see if you are still getting the alerts after getting the new update?

lwadwell

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:07:36 AM »
I too was getting lots of false positives  :( ... on winSCP, Spybot ... etc.

After updating 091203-1 they seem to have stopped  :).

GoldenGoose100

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
this is ridiculous.

Too bad I uninstalled it already and switched to AVG. This caused a lot of stress and panic tonight. 8 hours worth.

matthias65451

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »
:) :) i was scared at this morning - 10 programs was infected..... but false alarme - :)

GoldenGoose100

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
Question: has anyone else found that now when they right click on an icon (i.e. on the desktop or in a folder) - adobe acrobat 9 windows installer tries to open up?

This is really annoying me and I was relieved that it wasn't a virus causing these false positives, but I'm wondering if I do have a virus - I've already scanned and no bad results. And after I uninstalled avast, and used AVG now, still no relevant results and it's still doing this problem.
Tried system restore but that didn't have an effect on it - so I reversed it back.

Anyone help?

thx.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »
Uninstall Adobe reader.

I use Foxit reader that is better than Adobe reader

Download it here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/

GoldenGoose100

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:41 AM »
that's not going to solve the problem lol.
and it's not the reader, it's acrobat.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
I also use Foxit Reader...much safer.  I only use FireFox now anyway.  With the new Avast update VPS - 091203-1, everything seems to be working fine now.  I was able to restore everything from the Virus Chest (most of my PC!!!), but as a just in case, I installed Prevx (cloud-based) for layered protection and it seems compatible with Avast so far.

GoldenGoose100

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:45:45 PM »
and also - if i click delete or right click and choose delete for a file, the installer pops up again - what's going on?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »
Hello GoldenGoose100,

have you updated to the latest version 091203-1 ?

thanks
nmb