Author Topic: Disabled because Symantec/Norton antivirus is running, but it isn't  (Read 2261 times)

mouse1

Hi

I use Norton Systemworks (ie Norton Ghost) to back up my computer. I also have Norton Antivirus corporate edition installed on my system, but dormant.

I think I have disabled all antivirus components in both Systemworks, and have disabled NAV entirely, but Avast does not think so. Avast says it has disabled Standard and IM Shield.

Can you tell me what running Norton/Symantec components Avast is looking for, so I can disable them? Or can I tell Avast not to disable its shields?

I'd prefer not to uninstall NAV until I know Avast will meet my needs, as I don't any longer have the installation file.

Many thanks in anticipation

Mouse
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:43:24 PM by mouse1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Disabled because Symantec/Norton antivirus is running, but it isn't
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
Sorry dormant just doesn't cut it, there will be low level drivers running also.

You have to uninstall other resident anti-virus applications, even then Norton is a pig to get rid of.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Foggy

Re: Disabled because Symantec/Norton antivirus is running, but it isn't
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »
I can speak from experience and norton/symantics is a bear to remove. I ran Kaspersky without using nothing but the add/remove in my control panel and that didnt cut it either and Kapersky never ran well for me. I finally had to get a Norton removal tool from their website to entirely rid myself of the Norton product. My experience so far until the last update with aVast was great,,,,now I have some serious problems and not finding support for the product. I know it is free, so I guess I am getting my moneys worth on product support.

What was that old saying I use to hear my Mom and Dad say.....hmmmm...You get.........oh dang, it just slips my mind ;)