Author Topic: AVAST has made my Outlook 2007 items read only  (Read 2641 times)

gavincliffe

AVAST has made my Outlook 2007 items read only
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »
OK, I just installed AVAST 4.8 on my Vista laptop (been using AVAST on my previous desktops and laptops since 2002) as my bitdefender licence came to an end.

Great, except that now my default mail account, which uses Alt-N Outlook Connector for MDaemon, is set to read only when I open an item (email, calender, task or contact) so I can't edit them, or delete from the message tool bar; but from the main outlook window things are good - the delete button works and for tasks I can edit shown details in the tasks window.

I can create a new item and it works fine until a send/receive operation and that too becomes read only. >:(

I uninstalled avast and my mailbox returned to normal. :)
I re-installed & I have excluded the path to the cache.db file, and even disabled both mail and outlook resident protection module but i think the effect occurs as part of the install. :(

I never had this problem in the past on my PC (up till Feb this year), so what is the fix? Other than go back to Bitdefender :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: AVAST has made my Outlook 2007 items read only
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:53:26 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Did you uninstall BitDefender?
Here is info on how to, and a tool to run.
After doing this it may be necessary to repair your Avast installation. (Control Panel>programs and settings>manage programs>Avast, then select "change" then "repair".)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

gavincliffe

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:29 AM »
Tried to uninstall Bitdefender completely, and re-installed Avast.

No Joy!!!
My outlook items are still read-only - this issue must be due to Avast as it goes away when I unistall and my PC which is using Bullguard is not affected.
If I set the mail account as not the default, then it operates as normal, but this is not a workaround, as I need it to be default to sync with my PDA.

gavincliffe

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
Is this a known bug?
If I don't have a resolution, I will have to change AV provider - this Bug is unnacceptable