Author Topic: avast! version 4.8 Home Edition and IE8...  (Read 2481 times)

debw

avast! version 4.8 Home Edition and IE8...
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
I have been happily using “avast! Home Edition” for a couple of years. That is until Tuesday night, December 2, 2010 when the FP incident occurred.

Before the incident, I had no problem using “avast! Home Edition” with IE8. I would not notice any major time delay.

However, since the incident and its fix, I am having major problem with IE8 when “avast! Home Edition” is ‘active’ (not stopped). My home page (msn.com) takes forever to load. Any search results from Google will also take forever to load even though the search itself is still very fast. If I stop “avast! Home Edition,” I am back to normal speed. If I use Opera (my other browser), I do not notice any loading speed differences with or without “avast! Home Edition” running.

This is quite aggravating. In fact I am seriously considering ditching “avast! Home Edition”. Has anybody experienced the same problems? If you did, did you find a remedy?

As I was typing this message in MS Word, I just noticed the same problem with it. It seems that all my Microsoft products are affected.

YoKenny

Re: avast! version 4.8 Home Edition and IE8...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Welcome debw

What are your system specifications as to CPU type and speed and how much RAM does the system have.

What other applications are running like a software firewall?

debw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
My computer is a Dell Dimension 9150 with Windows XP Service Pack 3. I have 3 GB of RAM. The CPU speed is 2.80 GHz.

I have the following softwares running
  • Comodo Firewall version 3.13 as my firewall;
  • the latest version of Spyware Doctor as my anti-spyware
  • as well as Prevx 3.0

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
Try System restore and update avast after the false positive incident. Did any critical files get moved to the chest?

debw

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
I tried to do a System Restore to Tuesday, December 1, 2010 but it failed (it could not find anything to restore).  I did run an avast! update. When the incident occurred, I had 8 files in the chest. I restored them all. I double-checked that the restore action worked properly by searching for the files within their specific folders.