Author Topic: Simple cure for the BSOD - when explorer.exe ever crashes or won't start .....  (Read 2482 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi malware fighters,

"Don't panic. Do a three-fingered salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and choose Task Manager. Click the Application tab and choose [New task...]. This is a generally handy way of getting back into your PC if the Explorer.exe process ever dies or won't start – for example, as a result of malware infection, or as a side-effect of ill-advised experiments after reading up about black screens of death.

Run the program Explorer.exe. This gets you back into your desktop, icons, menus and so forth. (If you launch a second or subsequent copy of Explorer.exe, you will get the Windows Explorer file manager rather than a second copy of your desktop.)"

This trick has been applied by me many times.
When Explorer.exe crashes, you will have no desktop. Just restart the process and there you are!

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Alan Baxter

Thank you, Pol.  Now the trick will be for me to remember this trick if that ever happens to me. And no, there isn't room for another sticky on the monitor. :)

lindawing

My question, though, is, "What do you do when Task Manager won't start?" (This is a "what if" question...I'm not having any problem.) :D

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Pray ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi lindawing,

Here are some good suggestions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-Task-Manager-problems
In case of a malware infection, I'd suggest:
Try to borrow a "clean" computer & download & save to a USB Flash Drive Stick or to a CD/DVD (preferred because as "read only" can't become infected by your machine) SuperAntiSpyware (Free version) and rename it to lindawing.exe
then install onto your machine.

In addition to updating & scanning & removal (VERY thorough) in the
"Preferences" panel, it has a "REPAIRS" tab. This contains Auto- Repairs fore about 15 of the most common malwares disabling tricks incl. disabling LSP, Log-on,System restore, task mgr.,System File checker etc.etc. Links & instructions (Post # 2 of 4):
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=329090&messageID=2972614&tag=forums06;forum-threads

In fact do same for MBAM & CCleaner if you don't have,

May God bless us and give us inspiration to fight malware,

polonus (malware fighter)

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!