Author Topic: problems with Version 4.8.1368  (Read 7106 times)

rev.paco

problems with Version 4.8.1368
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »
I've had all kinds of problems with the 4.8.1368 version.  I have been using the free version for about a year with no problems.  It has been installed on the machine in question for about 6 months.  I was prompted to install the new version today, so I did.  When I first tried to install it I got some kind of error about how the liscence key was now invalid becasue my clock settings had changed.   This casued the Avast icon to get angry and I had 0 providers and 0 running.  So I found the origional email with the liscence key and re-entered it and tried the update again.  This time the update process works BUT I've noticed that after the reboot that certian programs are not loading at startup the way they should.  The avast icon is still angry with 0 providers and 0 running.  I also have certian programs that won't launch at all now....help

spg SCOTT

Re: problems with Version 4.8.1368
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
Hi rev.paco, welcome to the forum :)

1. Can you double check the date and time?
2. Can you try a repair of avast!?

******Avast Repair******XP

Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

******Avast Repair******Vista (I am assuming that it is similar for Win 7...)

Start -->control panel -->Programs -->uninstall a program -->avast! Antivirus -->Click 'Uninstall/Change -->Scroll down and click repair

3.What was the previous antivirus before avast!? How was it uninstalled?
4.What are the other programs that are causing issues?

-Scott-
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:23:44 PM by igor »

rev.paco

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.
The O/S is WinXP.
Yes I have found and tried the repair since my last post.  It didn't change anything. 
The previous AV that I was using on this machine was AVG free.  It was uninstalled over 6 months ago, I see no evidence that it remains on the machine.

BOINC http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ and  Steam http://store.steampowered.com/ won't load upon startup nor will they launch at all.  I'm sure that there are more programs not working but those are the 2 that I know about.

When I run MSConfig everything looks fine.  When I run autoruns everything looks fine.
I have tried to uninstall Avast, no changes.  I'm afraid that this has really rooked my os.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
Given that when avast! is uninstalled, you still have problems, I am not too sure, but things I can suggest:

1. Run the AVG removal tool, sometimes (okay, almost all of the time...) things get left behind...
http://www.avg.com/download-tools

2. After try a repair of avast!, if that doesn't work, you may have to do a complete re-install:

For a re-installation of avast!:

VERY IMPORTANT - Do not uninstall avast! yet, follow the instructions

1. Download the most recent version of avast!
Make sure to download the Full setup file, NOT the 'universal installation file'
2. Download the avast! Un-install Utility
3. Disconnect from the net
4. Uninstall avast! through 'add/remove programs'
5. Reboot into safe mode and run the avast! un-install utility
6. Reboot
7. Install the the latest version of avast!
8. Re-connect to the net.

It may also be necessary to re-install the others also, but I could be wrong...

off topic: Thanks igor for the moderation ;)

rev.paco

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »
Tried the avast remove tool/safe mode thing.
Tried AVG removal tool.
Tried reinstalling Avast.
Tried reinstalling Steam.
No changes.
I haved also noticed that the avast service is not starting automatically as it is set to do.
I'm really worried that this has damaged my os in some way that I am not able to repair.  I'm in the process of backing things up.....and thinking of switching to nod32....

rev.paco

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
Nobody else wants to chime in on this one?   Not even the guy who just tells me "yeah it's broken"?  Why was all evidence of that post wiped from this thread? 

It seems the only solution I had was to use the Windows Restore points.  I went back 5 days just to be sure.  Start up is still very slow.   

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Hi rev.paco,

Sorry, I have not been at a pc long enough to really read...

So you have restored back to an older version and it is working?

I am not too sure, but I am guessing that something has messed up the install of the updated version, it could have been the avg remnants, or something else...

You say startup is slow, what are your system specs?
Can you see what is running on startup, maybe you can trim it down to non-essential items?
(winpatrol is a good tool to see the startup entries: www.winpatrol.com)

Nobody else wants to chime in on this one?   Not even the guy who just tells me "yeah it's broken"?  Why was all evidence of that post wiped from this thread?

Well, I thought someone may join in, seeing as my limited knowledge isn't getting us anywhere... :-\
and the other post you refer to has been removed by a moderator - you will see that my original post was edited by igor, a moderator, as I commented on the other post. Unfortunately that poster has a tendancy to post unhelpful comments that can cause more issues than solutions...

-Scott-

rev.paco

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »
Hi rev.paco,

Sorry, I have not been at a pc long enough to really read...

So you have restored back to an older version and it is working?

I am not too sure, but I am guessing that something has messed up the install of the updated version, it could have been the avg remnants, or something else...

You say startup is slow, what are your system specs?
Can you see what is running on startup, maybe you can trim it down to non-essential items?
(winpatrol is a good tool to see the startup entries: www.winpatrol.com)

Nobody else wants to chime in on this one?   Not even the guy who just tells me "yeah it's broken"?  Why was all evidence of that post wiped from this thread?

Well, I thought someone may join in, seeing as my limited knowledge isn't getting us anywhere... :-\
and the other post you refer to has been removed by a moderator - you will see that my original post was edited by igor, a moderator, as I commented on the other post. Unfortunately that poster has a tendancy to post unhelpful comments that can cause more issues than solutions...

-Scott-

Why would I use win patrol when I am already using autoruns  (as I had stated earlier in this thread)?   What function or features does win patrol have that autoruns doesn't?   When I say start up is slow I mean relative to how this machine performed at the begining of the week before this happened.  The system specs haven't changed since then. 

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Sorry, I missed that part...still waking up a little... :-[

For the startup, you could try:
right click avast tray icon --> program settings --> troubleshooting --> check 'Delay loading of avast! services after other system services'

It definitely looks like something is messing up the installs, but I am not too sure what.

I'm afraid I am at a loss, I am not sure what would be causing this...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:32:08 PM by spg SCOTT »

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »
@rev.paco

What WinPatrol provides more than autoruns:
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) then get the latest definition updates then run a Quick scan and have it remove what it finds:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Post its log here.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:26:14 PM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »
@ rev.paco

All I would suggest is the avast Program Settings, Troubleshooting, and check (enable) the Delay loading if avast services after other system services option, see image.

Though why this should rear its ugly head after working fine is strange and may be down to the windows startup order being almost random.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tipton

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
I have no solution to your issue with Avast. However, I do suggest you start using imaging software. Imaging software is so common place that MS actually started making it part of the OS in Vista and Win 7. I have a hard time with anyone complaining about how this or that messed up their system, and they start playing the blame game. Had you been using imaging software, you could have fixed the problem in the time it took you to start this thread.

Sorry for being harsh, but there is a perfect solution to fixing any and all PC problems if people would just take the little bit of time and set it up.

ajm

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
Hi
I've had Avast installed for over a year and its been fine. I re-registered for another year last week and was prompted to download a new version. Since then I haven't been able to get Windows (XP Home) to start. Its been in the shop since Monday and the engineer told me yesterday that AVG is better and free and could he uninstall Avast. As I work for myself I'm desperate to get the machine back and working, so my latest paid-for licence has been a waste of money.
I'm posting this just in case there are other people in the same situation.
cheers
ajm