Author Topic: Windows Mail in Vista  (Read 9720 times)

roro

Windows Mail in Vista
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »
I was going to continue my old topic, but was advised to open it up new.
I read this tutorial on How to Reinstate Windows Mail on Windows 7.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html
It seems to me that I would have to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 rather than do a clean install to do this.  Does Windows 7 not have an old Windows Mail file on which I could use the Take Ownership application?
I would rather do a clean install if this isn't true.
If it is true, would it make sense to do a factory reinstall of vista on my vista machine and then do an upgrade to windows 7?  That way I would be getting rid of all the old garbage, programs and stuff, before upgrading? (of course, I would still have the garbage that Dell included in the factory install)

Any help would be appreciated.
Ro Ro 8)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: Windows Mail in Vista
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
Try Windows Live Mail instead of the default Windows Mail. This is the successor to the default program.

Download it here

http://download.live.com/wlmail

roro

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
I know it is, but I prefer Windows Mail.  I can't do the same things with Live Mail, and don't really want to use an Internet based mail client.  You used to be able to download the program from the internet, but apparently Microsoft has decided to not make it available.  As I result, I haven't upgraded to Windows 7, although I did buy the upgrade media.
 Does anyone know if Windows Mail can be accessed through Windows 7, or do I have to do a factory install of Vista and upgrade to Windows 7 in order to access it?

RoRo

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Windows 7 is the best thing since sliced bread.

Windows Live Mail is not Internet based and you can view your POP3 email as well as your Hotmail email.

Windows 7 Upgrade Option
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade-option.aspx

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »
I know it is, but I prefer Windows Mail.  I can't do the same things with Live Mail, and don't really want to use an Internet based mail client.  You used to be able to download the program from the internet, but apparently Microsoft has decided to not make it available.  As I result, I haven't upgraded to Windows 7, although I did buy the upgrade media.
 Does anyone know if Windows Mail can be accessed through Windows 7, or do I have to do a factory install of Vista and upgrade to Windows 7 in order to access it?

RoRo

you must be kidding, first as said WLM is no internet based mail client, it supports POP, IMAP and DeltaSync, and second you acquired a Win7 upgrade and you don't use it  ??? upgrade NOW  ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
@ roro

You can do the same thing and much more with Windows Live Mail.

It is not internet based.

Microsoft has put certain of its softwares under a service called Windows Live such as Movie Maker, MSN Messenger, Windows Mail etc

The name MSN messenger changed to Windows Live Messenger

The name Windows Mail changed to Windows Live Mail

Don't misunderstand the name "WINDOWS LIVE"

;D

roro

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
I am going to check out Windows Live Mail again, but if I can't edit the html source easily, it doesn't do what I want.  I use stationary from different websites, and one of the biggest Cloudeight can't be used correctly with Live Mail.  I know you love Live Mail, but it just doesn't do what I want as yet.  I do want to update to Windows 7 ASAP, but this mail problem is a real one for me.
Does anyone have an answer to my original question?

I just found this at Wikipedia about Live Mail:

"Differences from Windows Mail / Outlook Express

* Ability to view and edit HTML email by source has been removed.
    * Scripted stationery is not supported."

RoRo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:15:39 AM by roro »

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »
I guess you like Bling and IncrediMail  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:38:01 AM by YoKenny »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
@ the OP: OK if you're that desperate about running old Windows Mail in Seven, try this, I'm not interested so I never tried, and I don't particularly like this web site, anyway:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/05/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/

here too:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:00:59 PM by Logos »

roro

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work finding me sites.
I have checked them all out and the one from Logos at sevenforums is the one that I have been asking about.  Can you copy over the Vista Mail folder if you don't upgrade Windows 7 from Vista.  If I make a clean install of Windows 7, I am afraid it will get rid of my Vista Windows mail program completely making the take over application not applicable.  I will ask the question in sevenforums and maybe someone there has the answer.
The link from mydigitallife does not work as it is an infringment of copyrite for Microsoft.  It is obvious Microsoft wants us to use Windows Live mail and not Windows Mail.  I wonder why that is?
I do have Incredimail, but it also doesn't let me change the source file.  You can only use their stationary, and it is annoying as they always want you to buy their stuff.
YoKenny I have never tried Bling, but will check it out.
Thanks again,
RoRo

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
Hi roro...

I would check with Microsoft first to make sure putting a copy of Windows Mail on Windows 7 is legally feasible. This number will get you to their professional department: 1-800-936-4900, who answered some of my questions with this issue.

You might be surprised at what they may say, they let me install a copy of XP's pinball game "Space Cadet" on Windows Vista and one of Vista's screensavers on my mother's laptop (who has Windows XP and before I decided to install a similar 3rd party version of said screensaver.) ;)

May God bless you :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:02:02 AM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
Its always good to export your Contacts and email into a Mail Folder for safe keeping. 

How to Create a Folder in Windows:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2073272_create-folder-windows.html

I keep it on a USB Flash drive for portability:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 06:06:18 AM »
If I make a clean install of Windows 7, I am afraid it will get rid of my Vista Windows mail program completely making the take over application not applicable.  I will ask the question in sevenforums and maybe someone there has the answer.

Hi Roro...

This would appear to be correct....by way of a link JTaylor83 provided in his post here. In the article by David Goldman of CNNMoney.com, it states:

"Most common among those complaints was that basic "applet" programs, like Mail, Movie Maker and Photo Gallery, were missing. That's because Windows 7 deletes those programs and makes users download them from the Windows Live Essential Web site. IYogi said 26% of their customers were confused about that extra step."

Again, give Microsoft a call and see if they will let you copy it over to 7. :)

God bless :)