Author Topic: Virus Chest issue after VPS-091203-1 update to fix False Positive  (Read 5861 times)

Telstar

Hi,
Ok, I understand about the Win32:Delf-MZG false positive issue and that the problem was fixed with the latest VPS-091203-1 update which I just received automatically through Avast's normal update a few minutes ago.

Quote from: Avast Updater
- Vps: Updated
  (previous version: 091203-0, updated version: 091203-1)

I have 96 items in the Avast Virus Chest which I highlighted and clicked on RESTORE.  All indications are that they were restored (except for four errors) BUT, all those items still remain in the Virus Chest.

I certainly don't want to delete them without knowing the ramifications of doing that....
so, why didn't Avast remove them AFTER restoring them and what should I do with those files now?  Should I DELETE them? ???

Also, after the update, is it safe to reboot my WinXP now.

Thank you!

:(

SafeSurf

Re: Virus Chest issue after VPS-091203-1 update to fix False Positive
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
I made a post earlier about this.  According to Vlk, he said that they will remain in the Virus Chest even after you Restore.  Personally, I think Avast should develop a way to remove them once they are restored, but he tells me that the restore feature actually copies them and puts them back to the original place.  I hope this answers your question.  Thanks.

Telstar

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
SafeSurf, I also just responded to YOUR thread, so we've come full circle...  ;D

Quote from: SafeSurf
...but he tells me that the restore feature actually copies them and puts them back to the original place.

Sounds to me that if they're "copies" it would be ok to delete them from the Virus Chest.

I'll wait for further clarification before I do anything with them.

You can bet we're not the only ones with this same question considering the impact this debacle had on the vast Avast community.

Thanks for your reply.

:)

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
Anytime.  Hold off on deleting anything from the Chest for now.

Telstar

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
Yep, I also saw Vlk's reply to my query...

Quote from: Vlk
I'd wait with any delete operations until you double-check everything is back to normal.
You can always delete them later.

I'll check back later to see if this has been resolved or not and if it's safe to delete them.

Thanks!  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
In general, you should wait a good 2 weeks, perhaps one of the mods. can comment further to be sure since this was an unusual situation.

Telstar

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:19 AM »

Quote from: SafeSurf
Personally, I think Avast should develop a way to remove them once they are restored...

Well, if you open Avast's HELP and go to Virus Chest>Working with Chest files, this apparently is standard procedure...it says:

Quote from: Avast Help
Restore file. The file will be moved to its original location, i.e. to the folder on your disks where it was moved to the Chest from. Simultaneously, it is removed from the Chest.

So, the issue is not completely resolved yet until a solution as to why files remain in the Virus Chest AFTER being restored has been reconciled.

I'm sure the Avast team is looking into this and we'll have an answer soon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »
The help file is wrong then. The files stay in the Chest and this is how it's been since the first released of the program.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Telstar

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »

Quote from: Vlk
The help file is wrong then. The files stay in the Chest and this is how it's been since the first released of the program.

Just so we're on the same page Vlk:

See "Restore file" section:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:33:30 AM by Telstar »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
Yep, that's how I read it, too, and had already decided that part of the help file must have been incorrect.

In your case, all that is necessary is to satisfy yourself the files concerned have been restored (by either testing the program/s they relate to, or viewing it in the original location, or simply trusting it's been done) before deleting them from the chest.
(It is probably safe to simply trust it's been done, but I'd take a look in the original location, myself. PITA, I know. Up to you.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.