Author Topic: password request  (Read 5341 times)

crow

password request
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
Hi
I uninstalled avast free edition (with Revo)and installed it again because  of today`s Win32:Delf-MZG false alarm, now it wont let me change any settings if I do not enter a password ....I never entered any password nor configured it to work with a password.... what is going on with you guys I lost 3 hours because of the false alarm and now this?? please help  ???
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:55:39 AM by crow »

Offline -Genesis-

Re: password request
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
I only just choose control panel in add remove program and un-install it. If this doenst work for you you should try this one http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html.

And then try install avast again.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
crow,
Hopefully you re-scanned/restored any quarantined files prior to uninstalling it?
The uninstall utility mentioned above is the one to use.
Then use a full installation file (~37Mb) from the download page to re-install it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

crow

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:36 AM »
crow,
Hopefully you re-scanned/restored any quarantined files prior to uninstalling it?
The uninstall utility mentioned above is the one to use.
Then use a full installation file (~37Mb) from the download page to re-install it.
Thanks for you reply, I completely uninstalled avast with revo uninstaller and regseeker for any registry remains and then reinstalled and now having this problem... so I do not believe uninstalling and reinstalling will do the trick.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:49 AM »
Well, I don't know what else to suggest.
Did you use system restore, or "last known good" at any stage?
There is no way a password is created on the genuine Avast without user input.

I use Revo also. And I've read pretty good things about Regseeker. But why not put the uninstall utility, designed for one purpose, to the test?
And was there anything in the quarantine when you uninstalled it? And (if so) were you prompted to save those quarantined files?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
Did you restart your system after uninstalling the avast?

Try avast uninstall utility not revo uninstaller this will fix your problem.
Here's the link http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

After uninstalling the avast restart your system then Dl again the avast as Tarq57 said 37mb from the Dl page. Or Here http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=contentBody;mostPopTwoColWrap.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

crow

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »

I use Revo also. And I've read pretty good things about Regseeker. But why not put the uninstall utility, designed for one purpose, to the test?
And was there anything in the quarantine when you uninstalled it? And (if so) were you prompted to save those quarantined files?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:05:17 PM by crow »

crow

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it is ok to put the same registration key as in the previous installation?

crow

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
Did you restart your system after uninstalling the avast?

Try avast uninstall utility not revo uninstaller this will fix your problem.
Here's the link http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

After uninstalling the avast restart your system then Dl again the avast as Tarq57 said 37mb from the Dl page. Or Here http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=contentBody;mostPopTwoColWrap.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it is ok to put the same registration key as in the previous installation?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
yes you can use the same key.

and please stop reposting.

thanks
nmb