Author Topic: set up boot scan  (Read 9280 times)

derek_jones_37

set up boot scan
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi All.  I am new to this forum but not new to the forum format.  I just purchased Avast Pro Version 4.8.  How do I enable the boot scan?  Doe the program enable this automatically before windows begins?  I am unable to enable it from the user interface.  It is greyed out.  I did do a scan and caught two bugs in my system.  They are now serving time in the chest.

Thanks

Jones

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: set up boot scan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
sorry derek_jones_37,

but avast! boot time is not supported in 64 bit editions, if you have one.

you can do a full system scan. or another option:

bootable antivirus solutions which you can use to get rid of infections, some of them are :

Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Avira
2. Kaspersky
3. BitDefender
4. F-Secure
5. Dr. Web

I would do a full system scan, scan using #5 and then #1.

nmb

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »
I presume you are using a 64bit OS ?

If so then that function is currently unavailable. It won't be in the initial release of avast 5.0, but they hope to have it for avast 5.1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

derek_jones_37

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
Very Well I understand.  I actually thought I was going to get that function when I got the program but that's OK.  Will the other boot scan conflict with Avast...perhaps the avira one?

Thanks Very Much

Jones

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
If you scan using bootable solutions, then it is not a problem.

but do not do anything foolish such as installing two resident antivirus applications.

thanks
nmb

derek_jones_37

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »
I just created an Avira bootable disc from the bootsektor repair tool.  Will that one do?

Jones

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
do you mean that you downloaded the exe from avira site?

nmb

derek_jones_37

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:32:43 PM »
Yes I burned the boot disc.  Where do I check for results when I have scanned a file before downloading?

Jones

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
you mean to say in avast you need to check for the downloaded file?

derek_jones_37

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:28 PM »
I guess what I'm wondering is when I scan a file with Avast it doesn't let me know the results of the scan.  When I had AVG it would display the scan results when I was done checking the file.  Hey is the Web Shield Avast's version of a firewall?  I know stupid question but every other program I have used calls it s firewall not a shield....Duh....LOL

Jones

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »
if you see no results of a file scan then it means it found nothing. but you can enable it in the settings to show the results of the explorer scan. just see page number 88 in the avast user guide, I use the home edition so I don't know the exact steps.

here is the link : http://download809.avast.com/files/manuals/user-manual-pro-eng.pdf

webshield - see pic - this is not firewall.

Network shield - not actually a firewall but blocks access to malicious sites which is in the avast! black list, it is recommended to use a two way firewall if you are on windows xp.

nmb

derek_jones_37

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
That's awesome thanks.  So I now need a firewall.  I thought I would get all that when I got this program.  Can I get a firewall from Avast that will work with the other programs efficiently? Thanks for the guide.  As for the scans it's good that it will only display when something is found.

Jones

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
I assume you mean a context menu scan, a.k.a. quick scan, this by its nature is a quick scan to allow the user to get on with what they were doing and by default doesn't display results. If however the file is infected all hell will break loose in the form of an audible and visual alert, so you will know.

- To change the default settings - right click the avast 'a' icon, Program Settings, Common section, Show Explorer Extension Results.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

derek_jones_37

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
Wonderful....thanks.  I was checking for a Firewall used by Avast to no Avail.  I may have to use another program but I want it to blend with Avast.  I don't want the two programs to not get along so-to-speak.

Jones

derek_jones_37

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
I was checking for a reliable firewall and came across Online Armour.  It's suppose to be great and You can get it for free.  Might try that.  Any user experience with a reliable Firewall to use with Avast?

Thanks

Jones