Author Topic: Removing AVAST! and Moving on!  (Read 46728 times)

Frasier

Re: Removing AVAST! and Moving on!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
I'll leave Avast on one of my machines, the second one where I'm keeping really important stuff will be protected by something paid, probably KIS 2010. The thing is, that as a free user I do not feel that I have the basic to demand a quality service. After I'll pay, and something similar would happen I am justified to demand a quality support/service (and can be harsh while demanding it). It is sad, because for a long time I had been recommending  Avast + Zone Alarm and few other programs to other people, as a way to keep their PC's relatively safe for free. Some of them moved to paid distributions in their companies, after seeing that it does work... Now, I will not recommend it, neither be saying something negative about it - just being neutral.
What bothers me is the Avast reaction on that issue... I mean i.e.:
- where is the official info on avast.com
- where is the official info on a blog
- why, this relatively simple advice from support how to get rid the issue is still out there JUST in English? It should be posted in all supported languages, with visible links from avast.com
- why not simply push the info in that annoying little window where information about contest sometimes appears after update? People do have few PC's, sometimes they do know that their friends also are using Avast and through word of mouth information could spread
etc. the list could go on and on. I do not like companies that are trying to hide their mistakes.

The major thing here is, that computer related knowledge of many people is very small. Without an open information policy (where is the press release i.e.?), the chance they will be aware why their computer crashed is small. There were examples of people deleting important system components (you see that poping up window, beeping alarm, some mystery file names which look like Chinese for that person etc. If their knowledge is not deep enough they will simply trust the software advice (and after moving dozens of files to the chest, will start deleting them, because constant alarms may proof serious problem), they could lost connection with internet, or even their system could not reboot. I'm sure they are now simply scared.
It is really easy to transform from a positive brand ambassador to a negative one.

Frink

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
It was not my intention to blame anyone, I am sorry if you feel that way. I only tried to explain you have options to choose from with different consequences. You should be aware of that, also with other security programs, and not entirely rely on default settings. If it is difficult for you to decide what is best for you, you can always ask for help on support forums like this :)

Greetz, Red.

Can you only change the default behaviours with the Pro version? Seems that way but I might not be looking hard enough.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »
I have uninstalled it and not sure if I am going back. I had performance issues with AVG but I just installed that and might stick with it for a while. This whole mess kind of scared me. I am lucky because I only ended up screwing my logitech software and spybot. I might reinstall it in a little while still on the fence about it.

I don't think I'd go with AVG, It hasn't been that long since they had their own big problem.

http://securityandthe.net/2008/11/10/avg-virus-scanner-removes-critical-windows-file/
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »
they all had it, recently or not, AVG, Norton, McAfee etc... so no need to stigmatize Avast  ;)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 07:39:25 PM »
They all have, or will...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Deputy276

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
They all have, or will...

Not good enough for me. While I was using the free version, Avast has all kinds of info from me INCLUDING my e-mail address. I'm sure they have that for everybody. They don't hesitate to send e-mails asking me to buy the deluxe versions, but sent NO e-mail about this problem. I figured out on my own that Avast was the problem. There should be notices on Google and Yahoo and every other search engine about this bug. There isn't. We should have been told about the fix in e-mail. We weren't. Customer service at Avast stinks IMHO.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »
Erm, what e-mail asking you to buy the "Deluxe version" exactly did you receive?

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
just for fun, not to take too seriously:  :D ;)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4136901&postcount=6

(notice the time when this was posted ROFL  :D )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:15:35 PM by Logos »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Deputy was probably talking about the popups or the ad banner inside avast.

Not good enough for me. While I was using the free version, Avast has all kinds of info from me INCLUDING my e-mail address. I'm sure they have that for everybody. They don't hesitate to send e-mails asking me to buy the deluxe versions, but sent NO e-mail about this problem. I figured out on my own that Avast was the problem. There should be notices on Google and Yahoo and every other search engine about this bug. There isn't. We should have been told about the fix in e-mail. We weren't. Customer service at Avast stinks IMHO.

To each his own.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Deputy276

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
Erm, what e-mail asking you to buy the "Deluxe version" exactly did you receive?

You mean which one?

Deputy276

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Deputy was probably talking about the popups or the ad banner inside avast.

To each his own.

Yep...sorry if I was unclear.  ;)

brn

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »
I've used Avast for a number of years.  Yesterday's fiasco did make me uninstall Avast and install AVG on my primary machine.  I've been meaning to give AVG a try anyway.  This forced my hand.

My other machines (the Windows ones anyway) are still running Avast.  My relatives machines are still running Avast.  I don't know if I'm going to move any of the others to AVG yet.  Avast has been pretty good over the years and as long as this is a one time deal, I'll get over it.

"But why do you rely on automatic actions ? I know it is the default option, but it is entirely your choice to leave it that way."

Most people rely on antivirus software to always be correct.  If it says you have a virus, you take action.  You bet my relatives are going to have it set to automatic.  At work, we darn well have the anti-virus set to automatic.  There's too much of a risk to leaving a virus unaddressed.

The real issue is that you need to be able to trust your virus scanner.  Even the most experienced, started (re)moving files when Avast told them to.  That trust has been damaged and, I suspect, that's what really has people concerned.

silvertones

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »
If you live in the City you won't get this but here in the mountains of NC were I am you would.
If you go out and by yourself a big brand new xyz brand chain saw and the first time you go to use it is when a tree has fallen on your house you'll probably get hurt.The reason being is first you haven't learned how to use it and second your very emotional because this tree is crushing your house. It'll do you no good to go out and by a different one cause if you don't learn how to use it you'll get hurt again. Besides it was late and you should have been in bed with the computer off ;D

Northpower

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »
I see no reason to abandon Avast after one, single screw-up. It has worked perfectly for more than two years for me and been much better than the program I had before when it comes to detecting viruses.

OK, there were some problems with restoring certain files but I do think I've managed to sort it out. So as it looks tonight, no harm to my computer.

street_lethal

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »
they all had it, recently or not, AVG, Norton, McAfee etc... so no need to stigmatize Avast  ;)

Including Eset.  :)