Author Topic: Removing AVAST! and Moving on!  (Read 46946 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Removing AVAST! and Moving on!
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »
OK, I'll put it this way - it works exactly the same as it did for years in avast! 4.x.
"No action" / "Ignore" / "Block" means "No action" for the corresponding file (i.e. it's not deleted, moved anyway, modified anyhow). However, the access is denied.

sded

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
Igor, I believe what most are referring to is a detection override as done by Prevx and others, or an exclusion from further alerting without doing anything to the item-let it continue to be executed and deal with it later by watching it to make sure it is an FP, and sending it to the AV vendor for further investigation.  Vlk suggested elsewhere this might be an advanced option item, but I suggest that Prevx users as a class are probably not a lot smarter than Avast! users and their override capability seems to work well for them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:14:13 PM by sded »

JohnMcConnochie

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »
OK, I'll put it this way - it works exactly the same as it did for years in avast! 4.x.
"No action" / "Ignore" / "Block" means "No action" for the corresponding file (i.e. it's not deleted, moved anyway, modified anyhow). However, the access is denied.
OK, thanks, but doesn't this mean that any program that relies on the file for its operation won't work? Sorry, but I'm confused.

Sesame

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »
Why is the change of the name, may I ask, then?  In Avira's case, it is simply refereed as "Deny Access."

jisuna23

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »

I will not use an Antivirus program with NO configuration available! I must have "ignore" as an option. I have always detested ver 4 GUI...tried to like it several different times ...no go. I love ver 5 GUI and highly commend Avast on such a great looking GUI that is also easy to use and easy to read.

avast v.4 got a "No action" button whenever it detected a virus in your computer.. it's the same as Ignore..
you can configure v.5's action regarding the virus..

sded

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
See Igor's most recent post above and my response, which I believe is what Mele20 is asking for also.

JohnMcConnochie

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »

I will not use an Antivirus program with NO configuration available! I must have "ignore" as an option. I have always detested ver 4 GUI...tried to like it several different times ...no go. I love ver 5 GUI and highly commend Avast on such a great looking GUI that is also easy to use and easy to read.

avast v.4 got a "No action" button whenever it detected a virus in your computer.. it's the same as Ignore..
you can configure v.5's action regarding the virus..

OK, can I set up v.5 in such a way that if I suspect a false positive I can tell it to allow a program-critical file to be used pending confirmation that it is infected? If so, how? If this isn't possible then regardless of what terms you use to describe the action that Avast takes, the result is that I will be denied use of one of my programs, which doesn't seem to me to be very smart.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:40:32 PM by JohnMcConnochie »

Hermite15

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
Someone is confused here...

"Ignore" is there, it's just called "No action" or "Block".
Why couldn't you configure on-demand scanner differently than on-access one? Sure you can...

first, there's no confusion on my side, you're confused about my interpretation: although the interface itself would be somewhat confusing due to an  improper wording, it's not anymore once you've tested it with an Eicar file and seen what it does. To put it simply, the "ignore" command doesn't exist at all. Don't tell me how it was in V4, I have no idea anymore, I tested it once or twice ages ago with Eicar had one FP two years ago so...and no infection in the meantime.

This said, you cannot assimilate "no action" to "ignore" or "block" to "no action" because this wording doesn't make any sense...not in "real" languages anyway  ;)
 Also, "no action" for manual scans gives you the option in the result panel to "do nothing" if you want, when "no action" when set in file system shield will block files automatically, so there's a major behavior difference. Give it a try  ;)

Again, what's needed is a "real" ignore option, that as VLK suggested yesterday, could be called an "add to exclusion list" and avoid the pain of having to restore hundreds of FPs (from Chest, when it works...) in the case of an incident like yesterday. You seem to be very unwilling to add this "real ignore option" from the beginning of the beta testing, referring to dangerous fast clicks for noobs, sorry but we're running our own computers and I do not accept to be left with the choice between, sending to chest, block or delete. In the end the data is mine, and I wanna do what I want with it, especially when it can instantly save my system from being crippled with 10000 FPs... once numerous FPs are in Chest, restoring (again, when it works...) won't necessarily work, especially with systems files...>>> system lockups...reboot... system lockups again etc...etc...I'd rather avoid my system to break than having to attempt a repair through avast Chest sorry...
 It's been suggested to many yesterday to wait...no panic...wait and wait...attempt to restore from Chest...you must be kidding  ;D My system wasn't affected I got luck, but if it had happened, you seriously think I would have trusted a system composed with thousands of files restored from the Chest ??? I would have attempted a sys restore, and if not good enough or fail, reinstalled Windows + programs in no time and waited for the update correction before reinstalling avast. I would have lost two hours, not a minute more. Better than wasting the whole day looking for solutions on the forum.
 You know, unfortunately, a majority of the users who logged in to complain yesterday were people who don't have a freaking clue about how to run a computer. For many of them Windows was just broken (really broken) and they will have to pay someone to reinstall their OS. You'll be surprised: I won''t blame Avast for this. these guys must understand that buying a PC is not buying a TV...I guess they'll never make...this difference. Many of them just didn't catch that an FP slaughter was going on, and instead of dealing accordingly, they launched a full scan with Avast, or worse, a bootscan  ::) So may be you can help them, may be you can't, but in all case leave to those who know what a computer is the option to decide what to do when something's detected >>>> IGNORE OPTION... again, thanks.

adding: a useless alternative to "send to chest" is this non-sense called "no action" blocking files for real time shields. How the hell do you unblock files then...again, the option doesn't exist...other then adding the whole system in the exclusion list may be...??? also, did you notice that once a file is sent to Chest, after a manual scan, it's just sent to Chest, but when it is by a real time shield, it leaves a zero byte file in the original location? why is that?

Hermite15

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
just another thing, apart from the fact that there's been a mistake, a database that wasn't checked before being posted, we haven't been told yet what sort of error that was...can't be heuristics as heuristics, what what I've read, wasn't very advanced in avast 4, so what was that if I may ask ?
 (don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at all for a culprit, I couldn't care less about who's fault it was. I was deeply shocked when Comodo CEO mentioned publicly how he dealt with the person responsible for their AV disaster a few weeks ago). What interests me is what went wrong technically in the database...

H.Seldon

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 04:59:13 PM »
Well, it's not as simple as clicking a single button, but, you can specify files. folders, and paths not to be scanned/tested in the Standard Shield/Customize settings. This worked very well for me and I was able to continue using the computer normally until Avast came out with a new update.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
But why do you rely on automatic actions ? I know it is the default option, but it is entirely your choice to leave it that way.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the default changed in the next release.

I use: Ask <if not then> Move to Virus Chest <if not then> Log Only.

Where is that set, I mean, where can I change from "auto" to "ask" in Avast?

And by the way, I had no FP's that day, it seems I got luck.

Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
Please delete.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:43:22 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

John_E

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
Like Bellzemos, I would like to know where that setting is? I run version 4.8 and always left the settings at default. Anyone have a better suggestion for an "average" user?

BTW, I lucked out also with no warnings or damage.

Thanks...
John in STL

chachazero-tan

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2009, 12:29:49 AM »
Well...

Most of the people who just posted flames and complaints about Avast are either greenhorn computer users or impatient ones who can't be bothered to make a few web searches to find solutions and as such, want to "solve" their problems using different programs or anti-virus solutions.

Just to make it clear... Avast!'s boot-time scan is a very powerful tool not available to many of the major names in anti-virus solutions. The catch about it is: It is meant for users with reasonable knowledge of the Windows operating systems' inner workings AND prior experience in malware removal.

You can have the pricey Symantec's 360 or Kapersky's Internet security or McAffee's run thousands of times in safe mode and never get rid of some trojans, or just have Trojan remover & Avast!'s boot-time scan and get the job done properly in two runs at the worst.

Sorry to say, but Avast! is for POWER USERS who know what they are doing when it comes to insidious malware removal... If you are not, you are ENCOURAGED to ask a computer expert FIRST or make a web search about your problem PRIOR to moving or deleting ANYTHING.

Besides... Making some many complaints about an anti-virus solution MANY of you haven't even paid for is not only rude, but UNBECOMING.

unbob

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
Ditto!
So as of today I am moving on to another antivirus package such as Microsoft Essentials.