Author Topic: Deleting Avast  (Read 7189 times)

paarade

Deleting Avast
« on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »
I'm having performance issues and I was told to check system messages.    95% of the lines are MacAvast error messages.    A few months ago I had tried Avast but decided not to use it.    I thought I had deleted all instances of it.

I've googled for solutions and most are about downloading an exe file (obviously for the windows side) or to reinstall Avast and turn things off (demo expired error).  Is there a way for me to clean out the avast cobwebs from my system.

paarade

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Deleting Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »
I'm having performance issues and I was told to check system messages.    95% of the lines are MacAvast error messages.    A few months ago I had tried Avast but decided not to use it.    I thought I had deleted all instances of it.

I've googled for solutions and most are about downloading an exe file (obviously for the windows side) or to reinstall Avast and turn things off (demo expired error).  Is there a way for me to clean out the avast cobwebs from my system.

paarade
Hallo,
deleted avast cannot produce err messages. So it belong to some other party (launchd etc.), and shouldn't have performance issue (let's assume your applications don't contain avast!.app anymore).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

paarade

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Code: [Select]
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[607]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[607]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[608]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[608]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[609]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[609]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:28:03 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[610]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:28:03 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[610]): Exited with exit code: 1

This runs on for dozens of pages.     Spotlight has not found any instance of "avast" .    If I run launchctl list from the terminal,  it shows an entry for "com.avast.macAvast"

You are probably correct that this is not causing the drag on my system resources but I'm trying to nail down all the lose ends.    Any help with preventing this behavior with Avast would be appreciated.

paarade

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »
Code: [Select]
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[607]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[607]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:33 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[608]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[608]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:43 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[609]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[609]): Exited with exit code: 1
Dec  3 18:27:53 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Dec  3 18:28:03 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[610]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/avast!.app/Contents/MacOS/avast!", ...): No such file or directory
Dec  3 18:28:03 Maxx com.apple.launchd[91] (com.avast.MacAvast[610]): Exited with exit code: 1

This runs on for dozens of pages.     Spotlight has not found any instance of "avast" .    If I run launchctl list from the terminal,  it shows an entry for "com.avast.macAvast"

You are probably correct that this is not causing the drag on my system resources but I'm trying to nail down all the lose ends.    Any help with preventing this behavior with Avast would be appreciated.

paarade

seems to be launchd which wasn't told that avast is removed. No way, you must install it again, to get the proper plist (in applications, avast!.app, contents, resources), and unload it. Or, you can diusable the current one, plugged into launchd (see man launchctl).

regards,
pc

btw. this is apple's incompatibility, introduced in 10.6. the way of loading/unloading, preferred before, was silently dropped.
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

paarade

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
I did download and reinstall Avast.   The first time I run it though, I get a message that demo is expired.   Enter code to show it has been purchased on exit.

paarade

paarade

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:25 PM »
After downloading Avast, and getting an error message again,  the problem seems to have resolved itself.    I don't know what has happened but I seem to be alright again.

Thanks

paarade