Author Topic: False positive now freezing my computer  (Read 4496 times)

kbsconcept

False positive now freezing my computer
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
While researching this topic last night for my sister, I came across the false positive info, and shortly after that (before I was informed enough to take action) my laptop downloaded the corrupted VPS.  I selected 'Take no action' (knowing that the alarms were false positives) and continued to read research online but my laptop would periodically freeze, forcing me to unplug the laptop, remove the battery, and then reboot.  Each time the laptop would freeze sooner than before.  Finally I discovered the updated VPS this morning, but when I clicked on Avast nothing happened, the program wouldn't start, nor could I update when right-clicking on the icon in the system tray.  And now after rebooting the laptop freezes after clicking a few icons on the desktop, none of which open the applications or respond.  I don't know what to do. 

It seems the more I boot the worse it gets (right now I'm on an old laptop to access the internet).  Any advice?  I was thinking of using the repair utility on my XP installation disc (to at least get the OS to function), and then uninstalling Avast, and reinstalling my firewall (which Avast turned off) and anything else that needs to be.  Does this seem like a good strategy or might it make things worse?  Is there a better approach to salvaging my laptop, hopefully without losing all my data (I have my important documents backed up, but not all the programs and media files)?  Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

silvertones

Re: False positive now freezing my computer
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
Did you just leave your machine online and let Avast do an auto update?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
I'd first make sure avast has already updated to a newer definition version.
Let's try booting into "Safe mode with networking", then going to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, select avast! Antivirus and then use the Update feature from there.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Frink

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
I'd first make sure avast has already updated to a newer definition version.
Let's try booting into "Safe mode with networking", then going to Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, select avast! Antivirus and then use the Update feature from there.

Thanks
Vlk

Do what he said first.

I have no experience with repair installations, so can't help you with any info on that.

Perhaps try to boot into safe mode, by repeatedly tapping F8 during boot up and then selecting it from the list that should appear. If you get into safe mode, uninstall avast from there, reboot and see if your system is ok. Then think about re installing it unless you plan to use another AV or just use nothing (I wouldn't do that myself). That may work.

Maybe a fresh install (of Windows) would be best, in which case you need to find an external enclosure for your laptop HDD so that you can copy the files off onto another system without the system hanging. Or maybe just LAN it with another system and hope it doesn't freeze on you. That's if you aren't happy with the first solution, if that works.

kbsconcept

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
silvertones: yeah, while I was researching the problem online for my sister, Avast did an auto-update in the background, whereby I got the same exact problem I was researching for someone else, which was synchronically weird.

Vlk: that did it!  I didn't know about updating via that route.  Wow, I thought it was a goner, thanks.  There's nothing in the chest, and I didn't explicitly delete anything, so I'm hoping there won't be any residual after-effects.

Frink: I thought about an external enclosure, but had never done anything like that before, and so was nervous and apprehensive, and also short of $.

Thanks for the suggestions all!  Good luck to everyone else still struggling.

udidwht

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
I ran into this issue last night regarding the Def update & F/P's. Of course I knew the were false positives. But that didn't prevent the boot issue from happening. The fix? I booted into Safe Mode uninstalled Avast. The computer then started perfectly. One other thing, it also caused an issue with the Windows system Restore feature it would not create restore points (VSS error). I fixed it by turning off system restore, rebooting then turning it back on.

The boot issue: Once onto the desktop if you moved the mouse to the taskbar the spinning logo would just keep spinning windows would not finish loading. I knew it had to be related to Avast due to the Avast icons not showing in the taskbar tray after boot.

System specs:

Windows 7 Ult 32bit
Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz
2GB RAM PC2-DDR2-5300
Asus P5LP-LE motherboard (BIOS 3.19)
Gigabyte HD Radeon 4670
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Thermaltake 430watt PSU
DVD/CD-RW DL HP-840B
DVD/CD-ROM
Threatfire
Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware

kbsconcept

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
thanks udidwht, i just created a restore point to test system restore, and it seems to be working alright.  so that's good to know.

"i'm a llama"  funny thing, i named my computer llama.

SickNick

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:15:32 AM »
I got a version of the "freeze" bug. Avast locked-up Outlook, IE, Windows Live messenger - as they were booting up, and then locked itself up trying to cope with these, plus downloading the 30 Mb virus file update. Nothing would appear in task manager - well, no applications, but plenty of processes.

And every time I tried to open avast, it froze, too.

then, when I tried to talk to anyone here about it, it demanded I register, and receive access codes via my (locked-up) email.

Gee thanks, Avast....

(side note;- 30 MB each day is 1 Gb per month! No wonder my net usage has gone up)

The cure was to kill all the above, kill avast (after turbning it's self-defence mode off), then use Firefox to manually download the new VPS, then install it manually. (took 3 tries to get all the Avast to shut down)

It worked, but cost me 4 hours of irreplacable time, a lot of angst, and all my trust in avast.

1) With software, you get what you pay for.
2) Avast is free - see point (1)

KatznCohen

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:02:38 AM »
I have Avast Home 4.8 with Win XP SP3.  This week I had 2 false positives, on SyncbackPro Backup and Coffeecup HTML Editor.  I had to shut down Avast to run Syncback, but Coffeecup needed a reinstal. Grrrr.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:12:49 AM by KatznCohen »