Author Topic: [Solved]CCleaner-Registry Integrity-Question  (Read 10070 times)

ckiwi

[Solved]CCleaner-Registry Integrity-Question
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »
Hi
Hope I can get the answer here, as on Piriform, I can not find any reading on using the Registry Integrity Cleaner. I have CCleaner on my desktop and have used the cleaner on windows/applications. I have Analyzed the Registry, but what should I do, with the huge list that comes up? On the right it says to fix the selected issues, and all issues are checked. Is it ok to just go ahead and "fix all".  I am asking here, as it has been recommended by Avast Forums, as a great cleaning tool.
Thanks again, and hope I don't get yelled at for asking the question here. lol
ckiwi

* Found out where to read about things like Missing MUI Reference on Piriform. So sorry.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:30:57 AM by ckiwi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: CCleaner-Registry Integrity-Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:43:28 AM »
CCleaner is not a deep (problematic, huge) cleaner. It's safe to use, even the Registry cleaner of it. Don't worry.
Anyway, you could make a backup right before the cleaning.
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

Re: [Solved]CCleaner-Registry Integrity-Question
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:19:32 AM »
I've had good luck with Ccleaner. I always make a backup when fixing registry when it asks if you want to save. You can always create System Restore Point first also.
Joe

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:34:35 AM »
Unlike some registry cleaners, that can (and sometimes do) clean entries that should actually still be in use (which usually requires a re-installation of the program/s affected) Ccleaner seldom seems to clean entries that are still active and required.

There should be a prompt appear to "backup changes to registry?" when cleaning. I always make a backup, and a mental note of where the backup will be saved, in case it is needed.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ckiwi

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:40:44 AM »
Hi again. Doing a System Restore Point is going out of my comfort zone. lol. I was thinking these Registries were taking up space on my computer. Like the Missing MUI Reference: has program files from Oberon, from me playing games on Pogo. I figured they may be  taking space, so I wanted to get rid of them, not fix them? I found on Piriform some reading to do. So will do that first. Thank you so much.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 04:45:11 AM »
"Fixing" them is deleting them. There is no repair applicable to an orphaned reg entry.
It will only save a few bytes of disk space, and it's quite subjective/questionable as to whether it even improves performance.

If setting a restore point (pretty straightforward) is going outside your comfort zone, I'd suggest that cleaning the registry is, too.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.