Author Topic: An attemt to explain what went on that Wed night (a follow-up on the FP issue)  (Read 76194 times)

Mele20

I also appreciate the detailed explanation of what happened. It is not often that one finds a company willing to be forthright and honest about something like this. I also feel for the human who made the mistake.

I'd like to say that I believe this incident is absolute proof that the "ignore" choice for the real time scanner must be reinstated in ver 5. I got both an upgrade to ver 5 beta 3 and the bad definitions at the same time. If there had been an ignore button nothing bad could have happened. The ignore button rather than only two choices (delete or move to chest) is essential in a situation like this. Yet, I only had those two choices that I knew would disastrous. I have never felt quite so helpless as I was not in control and that should never be. The user should always be in complete control and no program should take that from them. Please add "ignore" back in ver 5.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Vlk thank you for the explanation and the fast work ;D,
Human makes mistake and by learning through their mistakes that they improve ;)
Even if this happen I will never remove avast because it gave me a great protection till now^^

Avast is the best for me!

Cheering you up,
Shiw Liang

Hermite15

so sh let you out of the Chest ? cool  8)

GhOstMaStEr

i had to close my Cyber Cafe shop when this FP occur.. :-(
It happen Around 11am until 3pm the FP is fix(local time).. Suddenly all pc in the shop shouting "WARNING,Virus had been detected!!" (44pc)
I had to check each PC one by one for any file than been move to chest or even worst deleted. . . . . .
Cost me alot of time and MONEY for that day. Tell me,what should i do in this situation?

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
I am staying with Avast ;)

soundgrammar

Hi again

I don't know the structure of the forum very well, but let me know the best place to discuss how best to get user feedback on how best to set up and use avast to get the best out of it and handle real world issues like false positives and other things that go wrong in our highly complex computer setups where we are always unwittingly on the edge of the next catastrophe.

Even from the couple of responses I've learned a lot, but let's take this to the right place, wherever that is...

Quick response on the "flood" question: if my normal rate of detection of viruses etc is say once a month then if avast suddenly finds lots at once (the rate of detection increases rapidly) then either I have a really bad attack, or something else has gone horribly wrong. This type of approach could be taken into account. If I had an option for avast! to just pop out a little reminder that the infection rate just went berserk it might just stop me from panic.

Regards

Hermite15

Hi again

I don't know the structure of the forum very well...

browse it  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
If I had an option for avast! to just pop out a little reminder that the infection rate just went berserk it might just stop me from panic.
Could you elaborate? What do you have in mind?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Tell me,what should i do in this situation?
Keep the calm. Send files to Chest rather than direct delete. Ask for help in the forums. Try to contact other forum members or the staff.

AZKID

Thank you Vik for the detailed info regarding the cause of the FP by Avast. I have learned a lot. As many other end users have stated ... I too will stay with Avast as my AV program. This was the first time in 10 years of using AV software that I encountered a FP and hopefully the last time. Thanks again Vik.

Richard W

Mikos

Thanks VLK for explaining. People make mistakes... As most people say, let it stay in the past. The most important thing is we all learned. By the way, without failure, there won't be any successes. Since this happened, I will now expect Avast to be even better. I like people who learn from their mistakes, especially if they are man enough to tell me they made a mistake. I'm staying with Avast. :)

Mikos

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
i had to close my Cyber Cafe shop when this FP occur.. :-(
It happen Around 11am until 3pm the FP is fix(local time).. Suddenly all pc in the shop shouting "WARNING,Virus had been detected!!" (44pc)
I had to check each PC one by one for any file than been move to chest or even worst deleted. . . . . .
Cost me alot of time and MONEY for that day. Tell me,what should i do in this situation?
GhOstMaStEr this Forum is made up of volunteer ¨helpers" who are not specifically employed by Alwil software. As far as your question above I can only suggest looking at the Home page http://www.avast.com/ and deciding whom you feel best to contact.
Alwil employees do read and participate on the Forum, and I would have thought a contact for people like yourselves would have been posted. If you really are concerned as I said find appropriate contact from Alwil homepage.
All the best !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Does anybody know if we can have avast EULA after installing?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Quote from: Tech
Does anybody know if we can have avast EULA after installing?
The license is in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH License.txt", if that is what you are asking.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

hegedusa

This sort of thing regularly happens with symantec and mcafee.  We repair computers for homes and businesses, and very frequently find computers with antiviruses from "the big boys" which have made systems go wrong one way or another  - either internet explorer won't start, internet is slow, or internet not accessible, or in extreme case the computer won't start.  And yet people stay with these packages. Why? because they think they have to and don't know any different. We have over 1000 installations with Avast, and haven't had a single problem in over five years. Our customers like Avast so much they recommend it to their friends. Just keep up the excellent work!