Author Topic: An attemt to explain what went on that Wed night (a follow-up on the FP issue)  (Read 76196 times)

ibell63

Thanks for the explanation VLK.  I think avast! is an excellent antivirus and none of this has changed that.  I think one thing that should be pointed out however, is that since avast! 5 is in beta, and therefore inherently somewhat risky to run (as it's beta software), maybe when there's an issue with a VPS that only has to do with beta installations of avast, perhaps it might not be as important to rush out a fix, since the users of beta software should not expect perfect performance and reliability from it and it shouldn't be run on important systems.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
i find very interesting suggestion of person here who mentioned that if 'unstandard' out of loop / emergency/ crisis update(s) are released that system restore point is generated before applied and each file 'catched' after that until 'next' normal cycle update will be autocloned into chest ... :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

CmdrX3

I love avast and certainly won't be changing. Sometimes s**t just happens and as the saying goes "to err is human". Hopefully their will be no repercussions for the engineer that caused the issue other than a good slap on the wrist. He should however be made to buy a rather large case of beer for those who had to fix the problems. You seem to indicate the problem occured on the v5 Beta version due to a bug, and if so begs the question to the gentleman who had the problems in his Cyber Cafe, what on earth were you doing running a beta version security program (or ANY beta program) on live public machines.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Quote from: Tech
Does anybody know if we can have avast EULA after installing?
The license is in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH License.txt", if that is what you are asking.
I was looking on the beta... couldn't find.
Which is the warranty and the conditions that avast free is released? I mean, related to the losses generated by their error.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Tech, I haven't read the license agreement for 4.x, and I imagine that 5, being beta, is strictly "as-is" with no liability whatsoever on the part of Alwil.  But of course they've got an excellent record of fixing problems quite rapidly.

I'd guess that when 5 is finalized, the license for it will be pretty much what's more or less universal in the software field, even in paid commercial products -- legal liability will be limited to replacement, if appropriate, of avast only.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks Mike. It makes sense. Just that people think they can have every warranty of everything...

lindawing

I think 99.9% of the people who even knew that this FP thing happened (probably most people never even knew of it, because of the timing) are going to be sensible and understand how RARE this has been for Avast!

When running Norton or McAfee, years ago, I had those kinds of problems ALL THE TIME!!! Sheesh! It seemed there was hardly a week that would go by without some major problem being traced back to one of those programs! Avast!, on the other hand, simply keeps working away and protecting--usually quite quietly and effectively. This is the first time it's ever SCARED me with something like this, and I really doubt there will be something of similar proportions in a LONG, long time, from this team!

I'm now running the Pro version, and have turned off Spyware Doctor, which turned out to be the ACTUAL culprit of my browsers not wanting to run correctly. Spyware Doctor has given me nothing BUT problems since I purchased a 3-computer license for our family computers, back in June. Avast!, on the other hand, has not given me a SINGLE problem in all that time. Now my machine is running smoothly and efficiently once again, with JUST Avast! in place.

3grrrs

I am continuing to use Avast, but I have lost one computer to the error. After it went through some prog dll files it started on some system files, and not being too computer savvy, I followed the advice of Avast and kept moving "trojans" into the virus chest. When I finally thought to question it, and tried to restore, it didn't restore some files, and I am only able to get into that computer using safe mode. Restore is not working, I didn't save the info I should have re which files couldn't be restored from avast's virus chest, and will probably have to take that computer somewhere to be fixed. My smaller, older computer is still okay. Sigh.

shae_32

Uh-oh, 3grrrs.  :(

Do you happen to have the Windows CD? If so, you could choose to repair Windows. It will replace the Windows files ONLY with the ones on the CD. Just a thought. I'm sorry that happened. :(

mcarr

Vik:  I just emailed you. I'm new to the forum.  I followed too quickly the process of outlined to fix the win32:delf-mzg by putting it in the chest, checking it, and restoring the file.  Now, one of my computers shut down and came back up with a blue screen.  I am not a tech-geek, but figure I will have to contact my computer guy and pay him again.  Is there any further advice?  I have relied upon AVAST for years.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Now, one of my computers shut down and came back up with a blue screen.
Can you zip and upload the file c:\windows\memory.dmp to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming for analysis.

teknologenius

Dear Vlk,

I registered to the forum to post and tell you guys thanks for all you do; Avast works great for me and I really appreciate all your efforts and great software.  I use 4.8 and so I wasn't affected, but I'm very impressed anyway by your response.

3grrrs

thanks shae_32,

no I don't have the windows disc, just the back up I made on a half dozen CDs when the thing was new. It came with windows installed. I was going to try doing a rescue function, but don't want to lose all the settings, etc. Restore is dead,  :'( , so can't go that way. It has to be something fairly simple. I get wallpaper, no desk top stuff. But every so often I get a flash of the desk top as it was before the avast fiasco. It's just a flash .. gone in a blink. I'm just not savvy enough to figure it out.

So, I s'pose I could try the CDs, but I really don't want to lose all the settings, networks, etc.

Offline EBathory

I just want to add my support and appreciation for AVAST.  I was surprised how quickly some people became angry.  Everyone makes mistakes!  After all, Microsoft makes them all the time  ::)  Hail, Patch Tuesday!

Keep up the good work.  AVAST--Still the Best!
"Where I came from, no one knows.  But the place I'm going to, everybody goes."

Ocelot

Vik:  I just emailed you. I'm new to the forum.  I followed too quickly the process of outlined to fix the win32:delf-mzg by putting it in the chest, checking it, and restoring the file.  Now, one of my computers shut down and came back up with a blue screen.  I am not a tech-geek, but figure I will have to contact my computer guy and pay him again.  Is there any further advice?  I have relied upon AVAST for years.

I have the same problem - is there no fix for it? It won't boot up in Safe Mode, normal mode, allow access to DOS and the tech guys I emailed at Avast only seem to know the fix which involves the computer actually booting up.