Author Topic: Avast! 4.8 License Expiration Notice  (Read 8579 times)

pclantechs

Avast! 4.8 License Expiration Notice
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
We have ALOT clients we installed Avast! 4.8 Home on over the last year and they are (all of sudden) receiving a license expiration notice now, even though there licenses still have a lot of time left. Is there anything we can do besides installing Avast 5.0 to fix it so that notice does not pop up anymore? PLEASE HELP!  :)

Thanks,

PC Lan Techs

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 4.8 License Expiration Notice
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
Well the urgency is that support for avast 4.8 is likely to end soon and they are pushing to have those that can update to avast5 (which has been out for almost a year anyway) do so. Only those with win9.x or winME can't as those OSes aren't supported.

If any are avast Pro users the remainder of their license is still valid for avast 5, if they install over avast 4.8 it should convert the license. If they choose to do a clean install of avast 5.x then they will need to convert their existing license all at no additional cost if they have time remaining.

A new version of avast 5.1 has just been released (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69305.0), so time really is marching on for avast 4.8 as there are two streams required for VPS updates as they are different for the two different versions.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pclantechs

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Hey thanks for your prompt response. I have another question please. Are the keys currently insalled on the client systems still going to be valid for the duration of time left that they are registered for? Is there a way to disable the expiration notification. We are aware that 5.0 has been out for some time now. The issue is that when we installed it we were expirencing multiple Blue screen errors, amoung other issues, which is why we are still using the 4.8 version. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
Yes, if they install the latest version over the existing 4.8 install.

At some point you have to take a leap of faith when a product has been a year you have to think any wrinkles will have been ironed out or you get into the same situation all over again when the next update is released (5.1).

Then you will bump into avast 6 in the not to distant future. You simply can't keep putting this type of thing off and off or you will be left with an unsupported program version that won't have had an update since 4.1.1368. Then the obvious one of no VPS updates when support is finally ended.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pclantechs

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
Hey Thanks!

I have upgraded successfully to 5.1 home (free) version, however, when installing over the pro version the license is not being converted it states that we are in trial mode. I verified the key and tried it again, same result. What are the proper steps to upgrading from Avast 4.8 PRO to the 5.1 PRO? Also, please tell me how do you upgrade the Avast 4.8 Pro when they are Managed (on servers). What are the steps to upgrade them? Thanks in advanced for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you (presumably it will check you have a legit 4.8 Pro license first).

I don't know about managed clients, presumably you are using something like the ADNM to manage those clients.

You may have to wait for the avast version 5.x versions of ADNM or SBS software before they will recognise avast 5.x clients and be able to manage them.

Presumably you have a multiple user license (.dat file) that would have to be converted as I believe the new license file would be license.avastlic. I would contact sales (at) avast (dot) com about conversion of existing multi user licenses as and when the clients and ADNM/SBS software is updated.

pclantechs

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
OK thanks. How do we find out the license key for avast! home and pro in case we have to do an OS reinstall. I registered one this morning and have not received it yet. I know that it can take a while to come in. Is the another way to locate the full license key without installing 3rd party software?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
You don't have to worry about avast home as the install over the top would retain it, or if you do a clean install to avast 5.x you can register from the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section. This way there is no wait for an email, it should show the product registration details in the avastUI.

Sorry you have me confused, easily done.
Installing what 3rd party software, you said your other avast 4.8 pro versions are server managed, so my assumption is that is the avast ADNM/SBS versions.

The process I mentioned above is for stand alone installations. You asked about the managed clients.

spam

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
It's been a while since this topic was active, but there is no better forum for version 4.8 license issues.

Thanks to DavidR for being forthright about windows9.x and the incompatibility with Avast 5/6. It is getting harder and harder to keep this workhorse win98 machine going smoothly. Its not that I don't have a newer computer. It's that win98 is the only system that can run a stack of legacy products and software that are essential, and it is running 12 hours a day.

I will keep Avast 4.8 on my win98 machine until support stops entirely. My license renewal email has come in and I expect it to install fine. I have had good experience with it for the last 3 years, however, its cycle consumption has increased over time and can take more than a few minutes to install the daily update. But the same is true for XP machines with other products.

Remember, there is no economy in an update of software that requires an updgrade of hardware.