Author Topic: Is Windows Defender still useful?  (Read 16101 times)

Rendah

Re: Is Windows Defender still useful?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
I disable it almost a year.  :)

Saty

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
I think Windows Defender is useful, and I use it as part of My layered protection. Its very light on recsources, I never really know that its even on.

Its updates are fine with Me, as it is part of a layered defense, along with on demand scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Maybe Im biased though, it did save Me from a nasty that crashed My other laptop hard, when debugging it and getting things back up and running and putting avast on it, windows defender found antivirus pro I believe and took care of it.

So, I let windows  defender run and do its business, its not hurting anything.

Saty

cod head

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »
Since ditching Iobit 360 I use windows defender.It runs alongside Avast with no problem so why not.

pinnacle

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 06:08:23 PM »
Iobit360, i thought that malwarebytes was taking them to court over pirating technology if so may be end for them. as for defender, its lite on resources cannot hurt as a layer of security.

Offline ky331

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »
While Windows Defender may not have the best reputation/effectiveness against malware, keep in mind that there are particular areas it monitors --- such as one's HOSTS file --- that avast and most other security programs do not.   (WinPatrol also monitors one's HOSTS file for changes)

I too use it as part of a layered approach.   I take the perspective that as long as it DOES offer SOME degree of protection --- without any noticeable slowdown to my system --- I might as well keep it around.   [I would draw the line to any program which results in a noticeable slowdown]

Granted, some of Defender's notices can be redundant alongside WinPatrol and TeaTimer... but I'd rather see two or three duplicate notices about a system change than to risk something slipping-by undetected.

Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

hpguru

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »
Windows Defender has slow scan and WD is no good for spyware or malware detection and remove.

Mikos

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »
I think it is obsolete. I disabled it totally. Though it consumes less resources, those resources are better off used for other things. MBam and SAS has far superior detection rates. I once surfed the web without Avast (since I have not installed it yet was in the process of downloading the stuff I need to install in the PC having reformatted the PC) due to an emergency in our own local Forum. My PC got infected with a relatively low risked Spyware. WD is the only security that I got but it didn't even detect that. Thanks to MBam and  it got cleaned. Although I expected it already since it was low risk (I searched for it after I learned of the infection from MBam). Sorry but if you guys are wondering why I didn't use Avast to clean it, I always believe in installing an AV in a clean PC. I guess it is just my preference.

Since then, I disabled WD. Besides, MSE is already there. No point in having WD, if you have Avast, a firewall, and a few things to help you out with coupled with common sense surfing... You are more or less protected.

Mikos

hpguru

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
Mikos, what you thing about Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus?

ladygaga345

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 03:05:29 PM »
hpguru
avast has a blog about MSE so why dont you read it
heres the link

http://blog.avast.com/2009/10/02/and-what-about-microsoft-security-essentials%E2%80%94mse/

their you will read of how good MSE is. :o

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »
hpguru
heres the link

http://blog.avast.com/2009/10/02/and-what-about-microsoft-security-essentials%E2%80%94mse/

hmm.. thats a nice blog. But i have something to say about those statistics. 'no security protection' does not always mean that no antivirus installed. There are no of cases where the installed one doesn't give any protection i.e. no updates were available from it.
1. Some are using trial version of paid AV & trial period is over.
2. Some had a subscription of paid AV, but subscription period is over.
3. Some free AV (like avast) have to be registered to after a fixed time to get updates & the registered period is over.
4. Proxy server was not set properly to get automatic or scheduled updates.
5. Some malware have disabled the AV.
6. Many computer do not have access to internet.
I have seen many computers in my institute & in many places that are unprotected due to any one of the above problems.
So i guess the statistics given by microsoft were quite reasonable but i don't know whether they have kept these options in their mind or not... :o
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

ladygaga345

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
hpguru
heres the link

hmm.. thats a nice blog. But i have something to say about those statistics. 'no security protection' does not always mean that no antivirus installed. There are no of cases where the installed one doesn't give any protection i.e. no updates were available from it.
1. Some are using trial version of paid AV & trial period is over.
2. Some had a subscription of paid AV, but subscription period is over.
3. Some free AV (like avast) have to be registered to after a fixed time to get updates & the registered period is over.
4. Proxy server was not set properly to get automatic or scheduled updates.
5. Some malware have disabled the AV.
6. Many computer do not have access to internet.
I have seen many computers in my institute & in many places that are unprotected due to any one of the above problems.
So i guess the statistics given by microsoft were quite reasonable but i don't know whether they have kept these options in their mind or not... :o

yeah maybe thats what they reffering too.... ;)

Mikos

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Mikos, what you thing about Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus?

Some reviews on it say it is good when it was tested during its Beta Phase. I still haven't read any reviews on it yet by any independent AV testing Body. I don't use it though. Not that I don't have anything against MS, but I just don't patronize too much of their products. If given a choice, I would not even use their OS. I just use theirs for productivity reasons since it is all over the place (as most companies use their OS).

Mikos

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
But during the Av test I think MSE scored very well^^

anothermack

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:41 AM »
Hello,

On Windows Defender still: on my system at least, the startup and other registry monitoring functions have been removed... I imagine in view of MSE.

Have removed Defender and use Winpatrol to monitor that stuff,

brgds
mack

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »
Windows Defender

View a quick demo of Windows Defender and its features.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/demo.mspx

I use Windows Defender as well as WinPatrol

Windows Defender has slow scan and WD is no good for spyware or malware detection and remove.
That is false as shown by the video