Author Topic: AVAST Free  (Read 4503 times)

optimus

AVAST Free
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
Hi,
I'm new and I have just one question: If AVAST Free edition IS free, so why does it ask for a registration key for the installation?

Thanks
Optimus

ardvark

Re: AVAST Free
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »
Hi,
I'm new and I have just one question: If AVAST Free edition IS free, so why does it ask for a registration key for the installation?

Hi all...

Good question....and one that I would like to know myself. Why is avast unique in this respect? ???

God bless :)

cod head

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »
I am only guessing here.Could it be that to register you get a e mail and that can give them a idea if you are a home or business user.I.E.Avast is free to home users.If you registered a lot of keys you would unlikely be a home owner.

As I say this is only a shot in the dark and I may stand corrected if anyone else knows the official reason.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »
I think, that the registration is a better way of having a proper idea of how many people they actually have using their software.

optimus,

If you haven't already registered, you can here, for FREE:

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

Then just enter it into the about avast! window:

right click avast! tray icon -->click 'about avast!' -->'License key'

The license key is valid for a year, so after that you simply have to re-register (again, for free) when the time comes...

avast! license key tutorial

-Scott-

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »
I think, that the registration is a better way of having a proper idea of how many people they actually have using their software.
+1 that is how they will fiend the

100 million users...
avast! will shortly have 100 million registered users.
To celebrate this event, we are offering all our users
a special 25% discount on our top of the line product - avast! Professional Edition.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:15:19 AM »

Welcome to the forums, optimus.   :)

Registration also allows avast to know how many users there are so that enough servers can be used for updates without problems with delays due to servers overload.

Omega40

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »

Welcome to the forums, optimus.   :)

Registration also allows avast to know how many users there are so that enough servers can be used for updates without problems with delays due to servers overload.

^^^THIS^^^