Author Topic: 9-11 avast! Skin dedicated to all those who died  (Read 35874 times)

S.Z.Craftec

9-11 avast! Skin dedicated to all those who died
« on: June 13, 2004, 09:32:25 PM »
This is my newest skin release... I hope everyone will like it. Yesterday, I've got e-mail from my good friend Mark Hess from USA, everyone will know him under forum nickname radicalb21... he is proud firefighter by the way...

He asked me if I could make skin for avast! with 9-11 theme. Here is copy of his e-mail:

Hey Sasha,

It’s Mark Hess again. First let me say I love and use your skins constantly. The skins I use are Lite-On, Flat ‘n’ Simple, Pirate, Corporate, and also your newest Nippon. After looking at your newest skin I got an idea and was wondering if you could a post 9-11 skin (i.e. firefighters holding the flag, or something with NYPD or FDNY logo). I know in my area of work doing public safety that is firefighting, EMT, HAZMAT Team, 911 Dispatchers were very much affected that day as was I when I found out I lost a few brothers that day. I was just wondering if you could do something along those lines. Let me know what you think. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again for your help.

Mark Hess
res51cue@comcast.net
www.v1ru5help.org
Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.

Of course I took some time and I came up with this... this is the smallest thing I could do to show some respect for all those brave people who died on September 11th in WTC... see picture previews in attachment...

Regards to all !

S.Z.Craftec

Re:9-11 avast! Skin dedicated to all those who died
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:32:53 PM »
Second picture (without sliding panels)...

By the way, skin is finished and fully functional, I just have to wait for Vlk to perform usual tests, and to upload it in avast! skins download section...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 09:34:07 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 09:45:03 PM »
Hey Craftec,
   It's radicalb21 again. I really appreciate you doing this for all are fallen brothers that lost there lives on 9-11. I work in the public safety field doing firefighting, emergency medical services, HAZMAT (Hazardous Material), and I'm also a 911 Dispatcher. I was very much affected that day as I was working at my county's 911 Center when that incident happened. I was also chosen to go help in the search and rescue part of the operations which went one for numerous days after 9-11. I lost a few close friends that day from FDNY. I just had to do something so when my county asked for volunteers I jumped at the chance to help search for my fellow firefighters, and police who were affected by this horrible incident.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »
I hope everyone will understand why skin is made with those dry colors... it represents tons of concrete, and I really wouldn't like to see that skin in green, bright yellow or some other light colors...

I just hope everyone will understand that...

Thanks...

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:05:23 PM »
I understand why and don't have a problem with the way the skin looks. I was there and he is right about the tons of concrete.
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 10:21:07 PM »
Well... I'm just a bit uneasy about the theme of this skin.

The thing is, what I absolutely hate is when a company tries to promote their products by abusing common symbols, especially if these symbols tend to "strike right into the heart"...

I just find it a bit out of taste... :-\ (maybe not a bit)

Skins are of course not a promotion/commercial but anyway... well I don't know.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 10:28:58 PM »
Well, I completely agree with you Vlk, but look at that this way...

Alwil didn't make that skin and Alwil doesn't force anyone to download it and install it... it's just another ugly skin by some ugly guy from uglyland...

It's not like Alwil is trying to promote anything... why ? 'cause avast! is well known even without these skins, and I really think avast! doesn't need additional promoting... everyone knows how godd is that product... this is not Bush'es political campaign, this is just try to show some respect for all those who died in there...

Personal opinions... I don't know...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:30:30 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 10:30:26 PM »
Hey VLK,
     I thought it might be a good idea. I wasn't trying to cause any type of problem. The thing is I'm a firefighter as well and I lost a few brothers (fellow firefighters) that day that were close friends of mine. I wanted to do this with the help of Sasha in memory of them and all the other people that lost there lives that day.
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 10:38:49 PM »
It's not like Alwil is trying to promote anything... why ? 'cause avast! is well known even without these skins, and I really think avast! doesn't need additional promoting... everyone knows how godd is that product... this is not Bush'es political campaign, this is just try to show some respect for all those who died in there...

Yes but isn't having a 9-11 skin similar to e.g. having a company that makes paper-weights start making the Twins style -- because they sell well. Oh yeah, they do - but isn't that called hyenism??

I can see that there're always multiple ways to look at the same thing but this particular 9-11 skin idea makes me nervous. Anyway I'll ask the the other folks here what they think about it...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rloschmann

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 10:59:35 PM »
S.Z.Craftec, i really love your work and this skin is great as usual. But i have to say that i agree with vlk, and i don't think that politics has something to do with Alwil. I mean this software is not used only by americans. I'm not from a side or other but i trully don't think that skins should have a politic, religion or else flavour. Keep avast fun and neutral !!  ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 11:01:38 PM »
I don't wanna argue with no one... but I'll just repeat myself...

This has nothing to do with politics or anmything like that... we could talk about that for years, and years... this is just for those poor people who lost their lifes in there without any possible reason... they were there in worst possible moment... some of themlost their lifes trying to save some other people who already died in there...

Oh, it's just a skin, I like to draw... I don't wanna make discussions about what's politicaly correct or not... I HATE POLITICS no matter if it comes form Croatia, UK or USA... those politicians all are the same... croocks, nothing else... if people in this forum, avast! users and Alwil software find it offensive in any way, I'll agree with you guys... burn the skin, erease it... it's just skin nothing else... no hard feelings.

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 11:01:58 PM »
Okay Vlk. You can post back there replies or they can post there own. I'm sorry if I caused any problems with this idea that wasn't my intent. It was only in memory of my fallen brother firefighters & EMT's and everyone else who lost someone on that day. I know first hand what it was like at ground zero as I helped in the search and rescue afterwards. The long days and long nights that I never thought would end. The country constant  support in various ways helped lift some of our spirits and helped use to deal with the task we had ahead  of us each and every day. We in public safety are always saying " WE WILL NEVER FORGET'. Thats why I say it is in memory of those that lost there lives that day.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:04:43 PM by radicalb21 »
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

rloschmann

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 11:04:24 PM »
By the way, i was thinking of a skin with a chemical laboratory theme (sort of virus theme). I always thought that an antivirus should look like a "medical" software as malwares are called viruses which is related to medical term.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 11:05:28 PM »
S.Z.Craftec, i really love your work and this skin is great as usual. But i have to say that i agree with vlk, and i don't think that politics has something to do with Alwil. I mean this software is not used only by americans. I'm not from a side or other but i trully don't think that skins should have a politic, religion or else flavour. Keep avast fun and neutral !!  ;D

I just can't believe this... POLITICS ? Where do you see politics in this ? I hate politics, I ran away from f.....g politics from my politicaly corrupted country. I hate politics... but this is just for those who gave their lifes to save someone...

I know very well that all avast! users are not from USA and I didn't say that ever... But that skin is just one more option... All users are not from Japan either, and you guys like to have Japanese skin NIPPON in skin download section... I think, that's not right...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:07:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 11:07:37 PM »
Not a bad Idea Le Doc. But you should start a new thread about this idea. Stay on topic.
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3