Author Topic: !! Battery not charging  (Read 3924 times)

Husk

!! Battery not charging
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »
I got my laptop back 3 days ago. I was playing Runescape, then the computer just froze, it beeped when I clicked. I turned it off. I turned it back on, It didnt load. I tryed again, it loaded but the battery isnt charging. I checked all the plugs and everything.

I restarted it again, hoping it was an error. But it must be the powercord. Can a powercord just stop working?

:-X

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: !! Battery not charging
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:21 AM »
Can a powercord just stop working?
Do you have a Dog....... ;D

Husk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
Nope 2 cats :P 'they've chewed through many leads  hehe'

But I moved the lead a tiny little bit now it works....  ???
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:44:09 AM by Husk »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »
Power cord fray is a common problem if the system is constantly moved while power is on.

Husk

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
Well first time something stick tape couldn't fix  ;D I tried for hours  :'(

It's very hard to get it working, a small bump can disconnect it. And I use more power than the speed the battery charges. So it's basically on 0% all of the time.

Oh yeh, It was the cats >=/  I see bite marks (Not all the way through) but a friend said it's killed the outside wiring of the inside (mum yelled at me for throwing a cushion at the cat hehe)

By moving, does that inclue moving the laptop from my lap to the table?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:02:49 AM by Husk »

cod head

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
It sounds like the copper wire beneath the plastic sheath is damaged,by moving it you are probably pushing the damaged parts together.I cut through my hedge trimmer cable last year doing the garden.Got a nice blue flash.I repaired it with a 3 pin flex connector.Just wired each halve of the plug to either end of broken wire.

You could cut the damaged part out and install one of these.It may be better to ask someone that knows a bit about electrics to do this for you though as playing with electrics can be dangerous.Or take the lead to a electricians shop and ask them to do this for you.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »
@ cod head

Typically the worn part of the power cable is on the low voltage side as that's where most movement occurs.

cod head

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
You got a point YoKenny.I just thought has his cat had done the damage it could have been the high voltage end.If it was mine I would cut it and join the ends with plastic coated block connectors and solder and tape the low voltage end.A bit complicated for a young un but a Electrician should be able to do it.To hazard a guess without actualy cutting a wire in half I would say there is one wire in the middle covered in plastic and another wire wrapped around that.A proper electrician would probably repair it and shrink sleeve it.

No harm getting a quote.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:51:13 PM by cod head »

Husk

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
It was right at the tip before it connects to the laptop. However I got a new cord (not leaving on ground) for $150 -.-