Author Topic: Questions About Virus Chest Since False Positives Found  (Read 2256 times)

oddfunk

Questions About Virus Chest Since False Positives Found
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
After the false positive incident on 12/3, about 12-15 files were moved over to the chest.  After reviewing the contents, it appears that most of the files were minor files such as downloaded screensavers, some Adobe files, etc.  My computer also appears to be functioning fine.  When the alerts were going on however, I did notice a file listed as "systemsoundsettings" (cannot remember exact name) that was supposedly infected and this was supposedly moved to the chest.  I don't see any file like this listed in there now.  Last night I noticed that when I adjust the volume using the button on my computer (Dell Inspiron, Windows XP Home), that the volume "icon" no longer pops up on my screen so there is no way to see how low or high the volume is.  So- I'm pretty sure that the file needed to make this function normally was moved to the chest.   How do I find this file if it is not blatently listed in the chest?

I have also run a virus scan on all files in the chest.  Next to each file there is a "no virus" message.  I assume that this means it is completely safe to try and either restore or extract these files.  Is that correct?  When I hit, "restore" on each of these files though, it doesn't appear to be working at all.  Nothing appears to happen.  I right click, select "restore" and there is no messaging displayed and the file still remains in the chest.  I've checked the original locations of the files and they are still not there.  Is this normal?

I am a pretty basic user and am very new to avast so I'm sorry if these questions are elementary.  Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Questions About Virus Chest Since False Positives Found
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »
It may be worth checking out this knowledge base article.

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=377
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

oddfunk

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
Thank you for the link and will try again when I get home to my computer.  I was trying to restore the files last night and it didn't appear to be working properly.  After reading more about the virus chest though, I have a better understanding of what to look for and where to look.  I appreciate it. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »
You're welcome, let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security