Author Topic: Error in aswChestS: AddSystemfiles Error 1392  (Read 5474 times)

whimsicaldeb

Error in aswChestS: AddSystemfiles Error 1392
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
I'm unable to launch either Firefox or IE, or connect to any http sites, from my home XP computer.  The problem began this morning when turning on my computer and has continued through restarts.  I am able to access websites w/Firefox and IE from my laptop with Vista, so it's not a problem with my internet connect or the websites themselves. 

Avast AV is showing my computer is clean, no viruses; however I am receiving error messages on the Avast Error Log as follows:

12/7/2009 7:17:33 AM    SYSTEM    556    Error in aswChestS: chestOpenListLoc Error 1392.
12/7/2009 7:17:33 AM    SYSTEM    556    Error in aswChestS: AddSystemFiles Error 1392.
12/7/2009 7:52:53 AM    SYSTEM    568    Error in aswChestS: chestOpenListLoc Error 1392.
12/7/2009 7:52:53 AM    SYSTEM    568    Error in aswChestS: AddSystemFiles Error 1392.
12/7/2009 12:23:22 PM    SYSTEM    572    Error in aswChestS: chestOpenListLoc Error 1392.
12/7/2009 12:23:22 PM    SYSTEM    572    Error in aswChestS: AddSystemFiles Error 1392.

Is this an Avast problem?  Or a Microsoft and/or Mozilla problem?
Any/all help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Deb

whimsicaldeb

Re: Error in aswChestS: AddSystemfiles Error 1392
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
Did a second, Thorough, scan.  Avast still found no viruses but give this error message:

Result of Last Scan:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_
Unable to scan:  The Fire or Directory is corrupted and unreadable
Action:  Moved to Chest
Scanned file again from chest - result:  no virus found
But I left it there (in the chest) anyway.

However - my problem(s) have now been solved!
Both IE and Firefox Mozilla are working fine, no hanging up on loading/launching.  And I'm able to access any/all websites.

Don't know what that was all about but ... glad it's over with. 

Kind regards,
Deb

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »
The web shield used the C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_avast4_ folder to scan http traffic coming from the browser, before it is allowed into the browsers cache, so it can be displayed.

So if this _avast4_ folder is either corrupted or unreadable then the scan couldn't take place nor the pass through to the browser cache so it can be displayed.

If this were to happen again:
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
Or
A temporary solution would be to pause or terminate the web shield so traffic isn't passed through/scanned (means your protection isn't as good).
Or
Disconnect from the internet, and try deleting the _avast4_ folder and reconnect, I believe that should recreate the _avast4_ folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

whimsicaldeb

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:02:14 AM »
DavidR:  If this were to happen again:
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
Or
A temporary solution would be to pause or terminate the web shield so traffic isn't passed through/scanned (means your protection isn't as good).
Or
Disconnect from the internet, and try deleting the _avast4_ folder and reconnect, I believe that should recreate the _avast4_ folder.

Thank you DavidR for your prompt reply and helpful suggestions.   Good to know what to do if this should happen a next time.   I've made note of all suggestions.

Also the problem may have been complicated with Firefox's (version 3.5.5) cache / memory issues.  Plus I hadn't cleared my browser's caches (both firefox and IE) or deleted my temporary internet until after this problem began.   

Thank you again for your prompt reply and helpful advice.

Kind regards,
Deb

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
No Problem.

The firefox cache shouldn't come into it as avast doesn't get the data from the cache, but direct from the http traffic stream before it gets to the browser cache. Not to mention the same is correct of the IE temp internet files avast doesn't use the cache to get the data so can't be related.

A belated welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security