Author Topic: avast update  (Read 5640 times)

subaru

avast update
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:39:11 AM »
i turned on the computer and a red notice said update was unsuccessful-cannot connect to 735sl.avast.com(208.43.71.137:80) what does this mean and what should i now do? :-[

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: avast update
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:37:28 AM »
How do you connect to the internet, (dial up, cable) and what is your firewall?
If you c&p that url number into your browser (208.43.71.137:80), does the Avast website open?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

subaru

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
tarq57,i am connected to optus wireless and near a black hole,firewall is currently protected by mcafee,i recently downloaded avast 4.8(the free verson).also have windows 7 installed.have been wary about uninstalling mcafee.i haven't yet typed the number into browser yet,do you think i should.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »
i haven't yet typed the number into browser yet,do you think i should.
Yes.
firewall is currently protected by mcafee,i recently downloaded avast 4.8(the free verson).also have windows 7 installed.have been wary about uninstalling mcafee.
Was this firewall part of a McAfee suite? If so, there is probably the answer. It will need to be fully uninstalled and a removal tool downloaded and run.
tarq57,i am connected to optus wireless and near a black hole
The "black hole" could be a factor. Is your wireless modem encrypted to the current standard? If not, it should be. Info/tutorial. WPA2 is the preferred option.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.