Author Topic: Best Software Firewall to Use with Avast...  (Read 11791 times)

quakeworld

Best Software Firewall to Use with Avast...
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking of installing a software firewall in tandem with Avast.

What firewalls would you recommend that would work well with Avast?

I'm on WinXP SP3.

Thanks.

YoKenny

Re: Best Software Firewall to Use with Avast...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
Welcome quakeworld

It depends on your operating system being 32-bit or 64-bit.

Don't use Comodo:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

PC Tools Firewall Plus
http://www.pctools.com/firewall

Outpost Firewall Pro
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

sded

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »
Search with terms like "best firewall" and you will find recent discussions like http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51878.0 that try to help users with the same problem.  Depends a bit on what you need from a firewall, but there are a number that are very popular, free, and work well with Avast!-even Avast! 5.  :)  I use Online Armor with Avast! on two computers and am quite happy with it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:47:06 PM by sded »

street_lethal

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:48 PM »
I like and still use Sygate 5.6, the last free version of their firewall before Symantec bought them. I'm also behind a router so I basically use Sygate to tell me if something is trying to get out. I have tried Comodo firewall, I didn't like it, it didn't have the amount of options and logging that Sygate has. By options I don't mean spyware scanning and stuff like that which I don't need my firewall doing. Sygate is also very light on resources. I don't think it works with Vista and Windows 7 from what I recall, but I still use XP on my main system and Vista and Windows 7 RC in VMs.

Mikos

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »
I use Online Armor Free. Very light on the PCs resources. And one thing that I really like about Online Armor, it has a new version every now and then (in my experience, almost every 3-4 weeks). Meaning it has updates for the firewall. Works with Vista (32) and Windows 7 (32). In the set up though, you need to allow the components of Avast, and for the Firewall to TRUST Avast. It would be smooth sailing after that. Well... At least in my case.

One good reason why not to use Comodo: It made my PC freeze after Avast updated itself. And take note, Avast is in Comodo's Trusted Programs. I ditched it after that. Uses a lot of memory and CPU power also.

Mikos

sded

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
BTW, the new Avast! firewall that is part of the Avast! internet suite has some very nice features that should appeal to many users, and should be out of beta shortly.  Unfortunately not free, but does lots of good things to take the burden off of the users.

icr

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »
I use Online Armor Free. Very light on the PCs resources.

My vote for Online Armor too have used many times.
Online Armor free
Avast Home Basic free
...................................fairly unbeatable combination I think.

Diazruanova

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »
Another vote to Online Armor and if you can spare some money for the paid version, even better

hyjaxltd

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking of installing a software firewall in tandem with Avast.

What firewalls would you recommend that would work well with Avast?

I'm on WinXP SP3.

Thanks.
If you can wait for the new version 5 suite to come out...I would defintly recommend it.  Iv tried all the others and the BIGGEST problem is that they all want you to disable the friewall that is more than just part of a firewall for windows.  Here is a quote from Vic himself over this:
We actually keep the Windows firewall as it doesn't conflict and is what Microsoft recommends for 3rd party firewall vendors. The reason is that the Windows firewall is connected to some other (non-firewall) features, such as IPSec.
It will be so DREAMMY to have a product that works seamlessly with what windows wants all the time.  I know it was pretty tough Awil team but AVAST ME HEARTIES...YA DRAG'T THE MAINSAIL STRATE INTO THE SUN AND NOW WE BE CLIPP'N TIL NEVERLAND!!! ???

...but really, its worth the wait, your gonna try it anyhow and just reformat because noone uninstalls like Avast either...thanks for making that work right as well!!!

Mikos

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
The paid version has a Mail Shield and A Web Shield along with other extras that is not part of the Free Version. However, if I had the Paid Version, I will end up disabling its Mail Shield, and Web Shield as Avast has an Internel Mail & Outlook/Exchange Services, as well as a Web Shield already. So I settled for the Free Version. It is pretty much a Firewall, wihout the fancy frills that some Firewalls are now forced to have which most Anti Viruses already have. Hehehehe....

I would agree with ICR. It is an unbeatable combination. Avast 4.8 Free doesn't have script protection which Online Armor Free has. So it is very complimentary to the protection that Avast AV provides. At least in my case... It is pretty much an unbeatable combo. Pretty much protects me with my conservative surfing habits.

Too bad, the Avast Suite is not free. As it is, I am just a plain home user and I am already happy with the AV by itself... Together with Online Armor. I am waiting for the release of Avast 5. It definitely has better features as I have read on some reviews (like PC Mag, they didn't rate it officially since it is still in Beta, not that I care since I am already an Avast fan but it just sort of gives me a glimpse of what it can do). :)

And speaking of Comodo, I am a silent observer in their Forums... ***If you can't say anything nice, better not say anything at all.*** That should say pretty much what I have seen there.

Mikos
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:44:26 AM by Mikos »

jpmartin

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 05:33:33 AM »
I use Online Armor Free. Very light on the PCs resources. And one thing that I really like about Online Armor, it has a new version every now and then (in my experience, almost every 3-4 weeks). Meaning it has updates for the firewall. Works with Vista (32) and Windows 7 (32). In the set up though, you need to allow the components of Avast, and for the Firewall to TRUST Avast. It would be smooth sailing after that. Well... At least in my case.

Does this mean Online Armor disable windows firewall when you during installing? or is compatible with Windows 7 (32)?

quakeworld

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone. Will check out Online Armor as it sounds ok based on your recommendations.

gery

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
in my very long experience with avast i always found PCTOOLS firewall free very effective and light. OA always gave me trouble

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Welcome quakeworld

It depends on your operating system being 32-bit or 64-bit.

Don't use Comodo:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46737.0

PC Tools Firewall Plus
http://www.pctools.com/firewall

Outpost Firewall Pro
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

What,s wrong with Comodo(firewall)?

Mikos

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »

Does this mean Online Armor disable windows firewall when you during installing? or is compatible with Windows 7 (32)?

Yes. It will automatically disable the Windows Firewall. However, it will not disable it in the services.msc. It is only the one in the Control Panel that is disabled. I have read about MS call for software vendors not to disable the Windows Firewall. However, they are the very same ones that also stated that one cannot use two firewalls at the same time. I do understand why they would advise not to disable their firewall. The firewall service (for some freaking reason) is needed by other services in Windows. Thus disabling it in the services.msc will cause some problems (as it turned out for my Windows XP a few weeks after I disabled it in services.msc, I since restarted it and just left it disabled in Control Panel). I have also read here that it is ok to disable it in the Control Panel as long as you leave the services running.

I am not sure with Windows 7 since I have not used that OS yet (thanks to freaking Linksys who doesn't have any drivers for my wireless card driver for Windows 7 while the rest of the world comes up with drivers for that OS).

Mikos