Author Topic: OK, can't uninstall OR install......HELP!  (Read 4806 times)

Marquis

OK, can't uninstall OR install......HELP!
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »
Hello folks,

Well, I had an issue with my Avast that I came on here and asked about a month or so ago (included below in red), where the program was simply not updating at all.

Since then I have tried multiple things to get it to work, including uninstalling COMODO (in case it was blocking Avast), but nothing worked...and so I made the mistake of trying to uninstall Avast, and then re-install it....

Oh boy, that was not a helpful move. Now, I don't have AVast in my program list (so I can't "uninstall" it), I can't install a new version as the install process always ends with an error message.... and yet when I start up the system a little Avast window opens to say that there is no license key inserted..for a program that supposedly is no longer on the system at all!!!!!!!

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

I just want to have Avast installed and protecting my system. What the hell do I do next?

Hello all,

I downloaded Avasti 4.8 a couple of weeks ago onto my new netbook (running Windows Vista - alas).
I registered my version, and it all worked well to begin with - however now the Windows security Center informs me that:

avast! antivirus reports that it might be out of date

...so, I open avast! and my last virus database version is 09/30

I click the iAVS button...but nothing happens! No "error" logs, no downloads, no nothin...

So my question is, what the hell is going on, and why can't I get the virus database to update (automatically or otherwise)?

Cheers,

Marquis.

PS: I am also running Comodo as a firewall, if that makes a difference.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: OK, can't uninstall OR install......HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Insert the license key.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »
Hi,
Run Crap Cleaner utility and run a scan on registry items and clean up what it finds,
re install avast from avast web site and re insert your valid key etc. Allow your firewall to connect to avast when trying to update avast!

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »
Also check that your computer time clock & Date and day is correctly set?. Weak bios battery will cause problems with date & time function on computers.

Marquis

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:10:09 AM »
Hello folks,

well, I used the uninstall, and then re-installed, and so far everything nis working pretty well.  Avast! is updating nicely, and all is well with the world..... now, if I could only get a decent firewall (Comodo is freezing my system on a regular basis) then I would be a very happy man.

;D

YoKenny

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:55 AM »
..... now, if I could only get a decent firewall (Comodo is freezing my system on a regular basis) then I would be a very happy man.

Hi...

PC Tools Firewall Plus seems to be one of the better ones out there, I use it on my VM copy of Windows 7 and it has worked very well, although I haven't put it through the ringer as far as testing. :)

May God bless you :)

Marquis

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
Comodo is no more... long live PC Tools, and all who sail in her.

Many thanks for the help/suggestions, folks.

Cheers,

James.

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
Hi James....

Your're welcome, glad we could help. :)

God bless :)