Author Topic: Boot Scan Question  (Read 2530 times)

Tgell

Boot Scan Question
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Okay,
I decided to try the Boot Scan of avast! for the first time. Don't ask. :-[ I set it to scan the Windows directory and Documents and Settings with "ask" being the choice of action. I ran the scan and it found two PUP which I know are safe. When the boot scan hit this file, it just kept scanning and did not ask what I wanted to do. I restarted the computer and the files were in the scan log with the option of what I wanted to do with them. Is this normal behavior? I would think that an option to either ignore or delete would be available during the boot scan. That way I could decide on either to delete or not to delete a file that may not be deletable during an active Windows session.

Thanks

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Boot Scan Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »
Did you try a boot scan with the "PUP" setting unchecked? And have you tried to run another boot scan to see if avast! reacts the same way when it gets to the same files? If it does you might want to try a "repair". Control panel...programs...add/remove(uninstall for Vista and Windows 7)...double click "avast"...scroll and click on repair.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Tgell

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »
Well, I tried it again with the eicar test file and it worked. Prompted me for what I should do. Reran the original and it again prompted me for an action. Not sure what happened. Maybe it just timed out. But, all is good. Thanks.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:01:29 AM »
You're welcome.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:37:37 AM »
If your question has been answered to your satisfaction please go to your OP and click "Modify" then insert the word "Resolved" at the beginning of the subject line. ie; [Resolved] Boot scan.