Author Topic: windows 7 explorer freezing ?  (Read 25805 times)

slartibartfarst

windows 7 explorer freezing ?
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
I've just got a new dell inspiron laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 installed....when i install avast and open windows control panel > all control panel items, i get the error 'explorer is not responding', i then have to select end program or restart program, after that all is fine. If i uninstall avast then this problem does not occur.

Is anyone having a similar problem or know of a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: windows 7 explorer freezing ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
Dell's usually come with A/V pre-installed, probably Norton.  Did you remove it before installing avast?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

slartibartfarst

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
Norton didn't come pre-installed, i just got a prompt to try their software with a 30 day free trial....which i uninstalled as well :)
So there's no other av software installed....i'm new to windows 7 and i guess it's just one of those glitches that will get sorted out as everybody plays catchup with the software......it's not a show stopper but the laptop is a gift for my gf and the last thing a computer illiterate will want to see is a windows msg saying there's a problem lol

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »
I suggest removing traces of Norton...

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

roberty

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Hi All...
So my question was.... if Window 7 was compatible with Avast 4.8 home edition?
Thank you

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
Yes, avast 4.8 is compatible with win7 32/64 bit versions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 10:13:16 PM »
Hi All...
So my question was.... if Window 7 was compatible with Avast 4.8 home edition?
Thank you

Welcome roberty

It sure is compatable.

By the way, avast V5 will be released in January 2010.

paradroid

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:56:44 PM »
I've just got a new dell inspiron laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 installed....when i install avast and open windows control panel > all control panel items, i get the error 'explorer is not responding', i then have to select end program or restart program, after that all is fine. If i uninstall avast then this problem does not occur.

Is anyone having a similar problem or know of a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem mine is dell Studio 1555 with windows 7 ultimate 64 i do the same things as you and the problem is avast, i sent an e-mail to on line support for this problem in 64 bit system.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 12:03:30 AM »
I have run both 4.8 and 5.0 beta on a 64 bit windows 7 (for about a year now) with no problems at all I would sugggest that another programme is causing a conflict

paradroid

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 12:41:33 AM »
I confirm that the problem is Avast! :'(
If i uninstall Avast all works fine.
Maybe windows 7 ultimate has problem with 4.8 antivirus.
I hope avast 5 will fix this problem.

Confirm that Avast 5 beta works like a charm.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:00:57 AM by paradroid »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »
I'm working with a brand new Dell Vostro 1520 that came with Win 7 Home Premium right now.  Uninstalled Norton through Add/Remove programs, did FULL removal.  restarted, installed avast.  Restarted, updated definitions, and all is well.  Didn't even need to run the Norton removal tool (I'll check manually to see if anything is left, and will run it if I have to).

Laptop hasn't been giving me any grief so far, thankfully.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

slartibartfarst

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
just an update to my problem....in europe / uk dell supply laptops with mcafee at the moment (i think i said norton somewhere above)....i've just received another laptop from dell, an inspiron 15, this had mcafee pre-installed so i proceeded to uninstall it, reboot, installed avast, reboot go to control panel and i get the same problem where windows explorer stops responding......i then go to close the window and get a msg stating that explorer has stopped responding, choose the option to restart explorer and all is good....i can go into control panel and all is working fine. so the problem i have only occurs once after a reboot or boot.
This is the same for both new laptops......so there is definately a problem that is not isolated to just one machine.....perhaps it's something leftover from the mcafee install.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
If that's so, it should be an easy fix.  Go here http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 and follow the directions UP TO step two.

No need to re-install afterwards...  ;D

csadoian

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
A client brought in a brand new Dell 1545 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium X64 preloaded.  It also had McAfee pre-installed.  I removed McAfee and installed a free copy of Avast Home and after the reboot Avast comes up with the initial screen, but eventually Explorer stops responding.  The first symptom is when I try to open the Control Panel ...  freeze, can't click on anything.  Just to be sure I waited 20 minutes but it never "unfroze".    I can CTRL-ATL-DEL and kill explorer, and after it reloads everything appears to run without freezing initially, but if I used the computer long enough, I get either a crash or a freeze of explorer.

I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled, didn't help.  Ran the McAfee uninstall tool (MCPR.EXE) to clear out all traces of McAfee Security Center, rebooted, installed Avast, freeze of explorer after reboot.

Since this was a client's computer I didn't want to take a chance and trash the installation of Windows 7 by doing more installs and uninstalls to track down a solution, so I gave up and installed AVG Free, which ran fine.

I personally have AVAST running on a test system running Windows 7 Ultimate (Microsoft's time-limited demo that will expire next year) but it's only X32, not X64.  I'm wondering if this problem is caused by the OEM version of Windows 7 X64 that Dell is using or something to do with McAfee Security Center that is being preloaded on these computers.  The problem *IS* real, however.  Would be nice to know what is causing it.

Chuck

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention.

The Vostro 1520 that I was working on was x64 too.  The only difference is that mine came with Norton instead of McAfee, and it wasn't a 1545.