Author Topic: Sent T.Horse to chest and took my Inbox Toolbar with it  (Read 3537 times)

thea67

Sent T.Horse to chest and took my Inbox Toolbar with it
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Below is the file information AV said was a T.Horse

12/2/2009 10:10:02 PM   SYSTEM   1484   Sign of "Win32:Delf-MZG [Trj]" has been found in "C:\PROGRA~1\Inbox\ctbr.dll" file.

I have used Inbox toolbar for four or five years now and never had any trouble with it. Anyway, how can I restore this file? I can't find the virus chest and I need it restored so I can get some information I stored in the tool bar back.

Sincerely,

Thea Molette
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:20:36 PM by thea67 »

spg SCOTT

Re: Sent T.Horse to chest and took my Inbox Toolbar with it
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
Hi thea67, welcome to the forum :)

The Win32:Delf-MZG[Trj] issue was related to the bad update that was released the other day.

What you need to do, is make sure you are updated, open the chest, re-scan the file, and if clean, restore it.

Insturctions for all of those steps, can be found here:
avast! Support article: Restoring a false positive file from the Virus Chest

It is worth noting that a copy will still remain in the chest. Check that the restore has worked, by finding the file in the location it should be, and then if wanted you can delete the file from the chest.

-Scott-
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:28:02 PM by spg SCOTT »

thea67

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »
The file is not in the chest, but my tool bar is still gone. I tried reinstalling it and it didn't show up.

Thea67

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »
Hi thea67,

I honestly don't know anything about this that may help....

The only thing that I could suggest is uninstalling it via the control panel, and then re-installing it again (if that is not already what you have done...)

Personally I despise toolbars, but that is another thing altogether for another thread...

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »
The file is not in the chest, but my tool bar is still gone. I tried reinstalling it and it didn't show up.

Thea67

If it isn't in the chest, then you didn't choose Move to Chest upon detection.
avast doesn't take anonymous action, you have to tell it what action to take in the Home version. In the pro version, you can set automatic actions, but again you must set them.

What of the other choices did you choose (see image example of alert window with options) ?
If you deleted it then avast does as instructed and deletes it, so you would need to use a file recovery tool, something like:
Recuva Deleted File Recovery application - http://www.recuva.com/, also see Builds, http://www.recuva.com/download/builds as the Portable version would help as it doesn't have to be installed and the slim version if you don't like toolbars (ironic I know).

The longer you leave it the greater the possibility that the files location will have been overwritten.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security