Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 2611 times)

jenniferlong

Need help!
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:23 AM »
I am almost completely technologically handicapped here so I am trying desperately to find instructions for adding Earthlink as an email client for the home version.  Can someone please help?!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
Is Earthlink your isp? I don't see anywhere on their home page a hosting site for webmail style applications, like, for example, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, or G mail.

If Earthlink is simply your ISP, you should be able to use any email client (like Outlook Express - part of Windows) to connect to the server and download emails, which will be scanned by default by Avast.

Perhaps you better tell us what operating system you use, and how you connect to the internet?
(The operating system should appear when the system is starting up, and is likely to be something like Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Please advise.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Sakurako

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »
Probably email client should be configured to receive email from EarthLink. For information, check http://support.earthlink.net/support/BROWSEHELP/email/ ~

back2front

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
Is Earthlink your isp? I don't see anywhere on their home page a hosting site for webmail style applications, like, for example, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, or G mail.

If Earthlink is simply your ISP, you should be able to use any email client (like Outlook Express - part of Windows) to connect to the server and download emails, which will be scanned by default by Avast.

Perhaps you better tell us what operating system you use, and how you connect to the internet?
(The operating system should appear when the system is starting up, and is likely to be something like Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Please advise.)

I have Earthlink as my ISP and they do have a webmail hosting site, they also have a desktop application which I use. Avast scans this with no problems now but had a few problems with the beta at first.
The link for the [wizard] desktop application is:  http://csupdate.earthlink.net/win/mailclient/MailBox_Setup.exe

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
I'm not prepared to download and run the wizard to find out what is in this desktop.
The tools listed on the Earthlink page include a toolbar and a download accelerator.
On this page there is a list of all the applications and services that appear following a search for "desktop" on their support site.
Please tell which ones you have.
Some of them also include bundled security products. That could be problematic when using Avast.

If it is simply webmail that is used, opening in a browser, like Internet Explorer, none of the mail providers with Avast will operate on that.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.