Author Topic: Advast won't allow some DOS programs to run after update crash. Help?  (Read 4541 times)

olrowdy01

Several months ago I installed Avast home edition and it worked fine up to the big update crash (that really screwed up my computer).

After I restored my system from a backup, Avast now doesn't allow launching of at least three of my old DOS programs. Those programs do run OK by un-installing Avast and using several other free anti-virus programs. For fans of old DOS software the affected programs are Schematic V3.1.1, Advpcb & PowerBasic3.5.  These programs run fine on every OS from DOS 6.2 to XP.

I un-installed Avast and waited until the 205 Avast update was released. I then downloaded the latest install program & reinstalled home Avast. The DOS programs again wouldn't run with Avast.

While running Avast, clicking on two of the DOS program icons, nothing happens. When trying to run PowerBasic the screen goes to black (which is normal for PowerBasic) for a few seconds while the monitor figures out what to do and the computer then goes back to the normal desktop screen. I tried running the programs in various Windows compatibility modes but that doesn't help either.

I tried adding the programs to the scan exception menu (I don't have Avast installed right now so I'm not sure of exact menu name.) but that doesn't allow the programs to run. Turning off scanning of the various 16 & 32 bit and DOS files doesn't help either.

I would really like to run Avast again, but I also need those DOS programs to run at the same time. Any suggestions how I can get Avast to allow my DOS programs to run?
TNX

My OS is XP sp3.
uP is AMD 7550, not overclocked.
2 Gb RAM.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:40:57 AM by olrowdy01 »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Advast won't allow some DOS programs to run after update crash. Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
Tried re-installing the DOS programs concerned? (or re-downloading them.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:59:07 AM »
Did you use Norton in this computer?
Will this help? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=707.msg3417#msg3417

The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »
Also see - AVAST, XP SP2 & 16BIT PROBLEMS - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6991.msg55146#msg55146

This post by Vlk has a link to a file to modify the registry, right click it and select 'save file as' or 'save as' depending on your browser. Running the file should modify the registry key concerned with avast and 16 applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olrowdy01

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:02:05 AM »
OK guys, thanks for all the tips.  I got the DOS programs to work again.   :) 
I'll tell you what I did at the end of this post but I do want to respond to your tips so you'll have some background on what what I had tried.

Quote from: Tarq57
Tried re-installing the DOS programs concerned? (or re-downloading them.)
When I did the restore from the backup HD the DOS programs were overwritten with the files saved in the earlier backup. Also the DOS files run OK if Avast isn't running.

Quote from: Tech
Did you use Norton in this computer?
Will this help? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=707.msg3417#msg3417
No, I have not run Norton or any other paid anti-virus programs on any of my computers.

Quote from: DavidR
Also see - AVAST, XP SP2 & 16BIT PROBLEMS - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6991.msg55146#msg55146
I saw that topic and I checked the registry for the aswmonvd.dll entry. It is pointing to the correct directory.  I did have the warning msg about asmonvd.dll on one of my reloads of Avast but after I corrected the registry for that reloading attempt the warning msg went away. After that I unloaded Avast again and removed every entry I could find in the registry concerning Avast. I rebooted and reloaded Avast again and the DOS programs still didn't run.

After seeing all your tips I decided to give Avast another try. I downloaded the home version from the Avast site, uninstalled the anti-virus (other company) program, installed Avast, allowed Avast to date it's files and presto my DOS programs now run again.

Two things that I did on this install that might have made a difference,
1. When I installed Avast before I installed the program into C:\Program Files\Avast4 instead of C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4. I don't think this should have made any difference.
2. After the file update I see that I am now running "File Version 091210-1"  Before I had something with "205" as the version. I think this is what is now allowing the DOS programs to run again.

Whatever changed to allow my DOS programs to run,  I'm a happy camper again.  Again, thanks for your help guys.
---
Quick question about my profile settings. Does the forum software allow you to add your website URL etc or is that function disabled?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for the update.

- The problem comes from drive by spammers, who having registered put objectionable or commercial links in their profile signature to try and gain link promotion, etc.

There have also been cases of the PM function being abused to spam forum members, so you will notice that you can't use the PM function either.

Unfortunately because of the actions of others legitimate members suffer by the actions to prevent this spamming.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olrowdy01

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for the update.

- The problem comes from drive by spammers, who having registered put objectionable or commercial links in their profile signature to try and gain link promotion, etc.

There have also been cases of the PM function being abused to spam forum members, so you will notice that you can't use the PM function either.

Unfortunately because of the actions of others legitimate members suffer by the actions to prevent this spamming.
OK, too bad the spammers can't find some other (legal) way to make money without being so obnoxious.

I hope this will be OK,
For those of you who dig ol' English sports cars you might like to take a look at my website about my home made replica of a Lotus 7 race car (called a Locost 7). The site is NOT a commercial site, just one of my interests.

http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/

Sakurako

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
... Does the forum software allow you to add your website URL etc or is that function disabled?

Probably website link could be modified after upgrading member group. Additional option as avatar would also be enabled ~