Author Topic: Is there a way to get Avast 5.0 free to stay fully expanded?  (Read 6030 times)

nmaynan

Is there a way to get Avast 5.0 free to stay fully expanded?
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
Avast keeps shrinking to a small window. I'll expand it to whole screen and at some point it will just shrink down to a smaller window even though I haven't clicked the shrink button.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:24:32 PM by nmaynan »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is there a way to get Avast 5.0 free to stay fully expanded?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
What do you mean by small window ?
Or do you mean minimised to the task-bar ?

You can actually only reduce the UI to a minimum size and that should be remembered the next time it is opened. That is what I do as I don't want a large window, even though I have a 1920x1200 TFT monitor and it has stayed the size I set it too.

Have you been tweaking any of the avast settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nmaynan

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

The window displays in the middle of my monitor in a medium sized square. I can NOT get the Avast window to display at Full Maximized Display and STAY THERE. It will automatically "snap" back to a smaller window size. In the upper most corner of WindowsXP window there are those three squares: a dash, a square, and a red X. Avast always shows in the squares mode--but never fully expanded.

I have not modified any settings.

TwoShoes

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
When the initial Avast screen come up, instead of clicking on the maximize button move your cursor to one of the corners of the current screen.  You should see a double sided arrow.  When you see that arrow hold down you left mouse button and drag it to the size you want.  You may need to go to several corners to get your desired display.  Once satisfied with the size, close down the window and then bring it back up.  See if that now holds to your desired size.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »

The window displays in the middle of my monitor in a medium sized square. I can NOT get the Avast window to display at Full Maximized Display and STAY THERE. It will automatically "snap" back to a smaller window size. In the upper most corner of WindowsXP window there are those three squares: a dash, a square, and a red X. Avast always shows in the squares mode--but never fully expanded.

I have had that happen in windows xp for a number of programs, not avast and one has never been recoverable. For the others I did as suggested by TwoShoes and when I had it at the size I wanted, I used the old windows trick of closing the window using the X (in the top right of the window) whilst holding down the Ctrl key and that seemed to lock it back at the size I made it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »

Not sure if this will help.... I use an independent 'Freeware' program called " AutoSizer" which can easily be set to Maximize any program window. 8)

nmaynan

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »
When the initial Avast screen come up, instead of clicking on the maximize button move your cursor to one of the corners of the current screen.  You should see a double sided arrow.  When you see that arrow hold down you left mouse button and drag it to the size you want.  You may need to go to several corners to get your desired display.  Once satisfied with the size, close down the window and then bring it back up.  See if that now holds to your desired size.

Yes, I already tried this prior to posting. It still snaps back to a smaller "default" avast pre-determined window size after I click through settings for a bit.