Author Topic: Avast slowing up/freezing pc at startup?  (Read 12267 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast slowing up/freezing pc at startup?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
Unchecking things in msconfig/startup is potentially dangerous, as you are attempting to disable things for which a registry entry is usually pointing the computer to try and run, but I guess you might have already known that? BlackViperExplains.
Do you have a program called Autocad Startup Accelerator installed? That is probably what that msconfig item you just recklessly disabled is pointing to. Tried re-installing the program, or disabled it from within its own program settings?

I wonder if you might have inadvertently disabled/deleted something that is actually needed, and that is what is causing the problem? You can fair bork your computer tweaking it too much. A good idea is to keep a diary in the form of a text file, of every individual change you make, and the day you made it. Makes troubleshooting/ putting it back much easier.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
I had an old XP Home system that was 2.4GHZ P4 with 512MB RAM and it was reall slow but I sold it when I bought this Windows 7 system.

Its now running quite happily at my friend's place and since he has had a stroke and not concerned about speed.

It replaced his old Win98SE system that did not work with a new Lexmark copier/printer/scanner combo that he purchased.

Adding at least 256MB RAM or even 512MB RAM would really help the system speed and crucial.com can help select suitable RAM:
http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx <== select SCAN MY SYSTEM to download the small scan application
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:25:37 PM by YoKenny »

TheScorpion

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Yep, thanks, I was aware of that and usually use 'services'  however 'adsched' was not listed there.
I have a feeling that the adsched entry is from a program that I uninstalled a long time back. (Advanced Diskinfoscope)
Anyhow, since unchecking that and putting Defender on 'manual' my pc booted up at a reasonable speed this morning!  :)  (seven minutes from powering up to reading emails)
Maybe when Windows Defender was on 'auto' it was vying with Avast.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »
Windows Defender shouldn't be conflicting with Avast, but on startup all the programs trying to load will be demanding of the resource available, which isn't a lot, in your case. 5 years ago, it was, now it's not. I'm using 2G of RAM in my XP system.

So it appears it was either WD or adsched.exe that may have been causing the problem. Try re-enabling them (WD first) in turn, and see if you can replicate the problem with just one of these disabled from starting.

TheScorpion

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 11:58:07 PM »
Windows Defender shouldn't be conflicting with Avast, but on startup all the programs trying to load will be demanding of the resource available, which isn't a lot, in your case. 5 years ago, it was, now it's not. I'm using 2G of RAM in my XP system.

So it appears it was either WD or adsched.exe that may have been causing the problem. Try re-enabling them (WD first) in turn, and see if you can replicate the problem with just one of these disabled from starting.

Yep, could be I need more RAM, the old 'state of the art' laptop isn't so stately nowadays!
Will do as suggested and see if I can nail it.
(Thing is, it is always the initial bootup of the day that seems to take the longest, so will have a true check tomorrow)

TheScorpion

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
Ok. Booted up today with WD activated and adsched.exe deactivated.
Again the pc slowed right up and I eventually gave up and rebooted.
Before I rebooted I hit ctr/alt/del to see what processes were running (as the HD was constantly working).
After about 3 min the Task Manager finally appeared and AshWebSV.exe (Avast file) was listed 23 times, all using memory. So it looks like it is Avast that is somehow playing up, surely that file shouldn't be listed that many times.
Any idea what would cause that?
If there are no clues there, my next step I suppose is to uninstall/install.  :-\

EDIT: I didn't mention that there was also a process showing that was using lots of memory and that was MsMpEng.exe  I've just googled that and found it is a file associated with Windows Defender and it has been known to conflict with some processes and cause problems. I'm now wondering if Avast or even OE is one of them.
The long thread in this ms forum discusses various aspects, amongst them WD 'looping' when in conflict. That certainly seems to be what could be happening in my case with the HD constantly working and everything freezing...
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/onecaregeneral/thread/d3e8381a-52e8-40a1-bd6f-820113e0e4b3
I've just disabled WD in Services and my bootup went ok. If this continues, I shall keep WD disabled and enable it periodically to scan.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:23:53 AM by TheScorpion »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
Just confirm your Avast build (version) is in fact 4.8.1368? (At this time, that's the current one.)
I would think that some kind of conflict with WD is possible, but others run the combo OK..maybe it's the low RAM/CPU exacerbating it?

It would not hurt to try a full reinstall of Avast. Check first that there are no files in the infected or user section of the chest that you may want. Make sure a copy of your license has been kept. (This would have been emailed to you after your initial install of Avast, and re-sent (on request) every 14months. ) I'd leave WD disabled while you do this.
-Download the full Avast file setupEng.exe from here. Do not download the universal setup file. The file you download should be ~39Mb.
-Download the Avast uninstall utility from here.
-Go offline. Stop on access protection. Go to "program settings>troubleshooting" and disable the self protection module.
-Uninstall Avast from the control panel. Reboot. If there were any problems, reboot into safe mode.
-Run the uninstall utility. Reboot.
-Install Avast using the new setup file. Reboot if prompted. You may opt out of doing the boot scan..it takes quite a while, and is appropriate for new users of Avast, or where an infection is suspected.
-Reconnect. Get updates. Let us know if it helps or makes any difference.

TheScorpion

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 06:23:57 AM »
Yes I had the latest version. Anyhow, I've just followed those instructions, uninstalled and installed and registered again.
Same problem with WD running. Wading through treacle and again in Processes MsMpEng.exe heavy use with nine AshWebServ.exe listed too.
I think I'm just going to have to disable WD.  :(
Thanks for all the assistance.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 06:57:10 AM »
I don't know what else to suggest, in order to fix the problem.
I can suggest that instead of using WD, you try out MBAM as a demand scanner, very good. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
You're welcome for the assistance.

TheScorpion

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:36 AM »
I can suggest that instead of using WD, you try out MBAM as a demand scanner, very good. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
You're welcome for the assistance.

Will do. Thanks again.

dawags

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »
Had the same problem since 4.8 update. The fix I found was to go to troubleshooting menu in settings and tick "delay loading of avast services afterother system services". Don't know what the cause is , but this fixed it.

TheScorpion

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
Had the same problem since 4.8 update. The fix I found was to go to troubleshooting menu in settings and tick "delay loading of avast services afterother system services". Don't know what the cause is , but this fixed it.

I'd tried that, but in my case it didn't work. The solution for me has been to get rid of Windows Defender. Everything has been fine since then.

MyGodAL3X

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
my laptop boots slowly too and it seems to be because of avast 5
ive been reading up on another thread and that seems to be a big problem
but i still havent figured out how to make it better