Author Topic: Yahoo Messenger  (Read 2267 times)

salli

Yahoo Messenger
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
Could someone help me...Since installing Avast I don't seem to be able to use Yahoo Messenger anymore...it just keeps timing out when I try and log in

I'm using Avast 4.8 Home Edition. I have done the VRDB scan and it completed without an errors.  I'm trying to use Yahoo Messenger version 9.0.0.2162 on a windows pc running windows xp professional.

When I try and log in I get a little icon in my system tray which when I hover over it it says something along the lines of 'Avast! Mail Scanner YahooMessenger.exe->cs111.msg.sp1.yahoo...'. I don't seem to be able to do anything with the icon, I've tried clicking on it and right clicking on it but hte little message then disappears...eventually Yahoo says there's been a sign-in problem.

I have tried setting the whole Messenger directory in the exclusion list but that doesn't seem to have done anything either.

What am I missing?  Any help hugely appreciated :)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Yahoo Messenger
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:31 AM »
Hi Salli,

I don't think avast have incompatible with Yahoo messenger, because so far i didn't faced with this problem yet since i used avast v4.8 till 5.0.259. Maybe other evangelist or avast member ever faced with the same problem like you.

But to make sure it:
1. Open your YM and please check your reference setting : Yahoo Mesengger - Messenger - Preferences - Connection
2. Please choose what is your corporate environment configuration site, please make sure the Proxy Server IP if your corporate have it.
3. Please make sure, is there any Firewall on your corporate gateway?

Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
Hi salli,
I don't use IM applications, so don't really know about any configuration issues with it, but often the cause of such problems is installing Avast without completely removing the last AV.
So, what was the last AV used on the computer, and how was it uninstalled?
Any other security programs installed?
What firewall do you use? (ZoneAlarm, perchance?)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

salli

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »
Hi Guys,
  thanks for helping :)

I previously used Trend Internet Security, which, although problematic, allowed me to use Yahoo messenger without any problems.  We do use a firewall (I believe it's on the network rather than my machine) but I don't know any of the settings, only that nothing has changed with it...the only thing that has changed has been the switch from Trend to Avast.  Trend was removed using Trends uninstall, but I then used the microsoft de-installer prog to make sure it was completely gone as per instructions from Trend.  I also haven't changed any of my messenger settings...it was working fine, then I installed Avast and now it's not :(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
Have a look at this helpful removal procedure for Trend programs, might be worthwhile going through it.
I'm more inclined to suspect the network firewall, tell the truth. Find out what it is, and see if all the Avast processes are allowed through it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.