Author Topic: Google DNS fast but not always reliable... OpenDNS fastest after all!  (Read 7951 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Hi malware fighters,

Google surprised friend and foe with their new DNS service. Is it worth the trouble. See this investigation:
http://labs.watchmouse.com/2009/12/public-dns-servers-performance-worth-the-trouble/
Google DNS is five times less reliable than the others; at circa 15 promille of request without a response within 3 seconds, others like DNSAdvantage en OpenDNS only erred at around 5 promille. Therefore not Google, but OpenDNS per saldo still is the fastest DNS-service, so our users were right to promote OpenDNS,
To make their DNS-resolver faster and faster Google has been building a gigantic database (cache) consisting of popular domains that is being refreshed continuously. Therefore there is no need for users's requests for mentioned domains  Other DNS-resolvers only will get the information if there is a request sent and received,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Alan|Cvette

Re: Google DNS fast but not always reliable... OpenDNS fastest after all!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
I've used Google's DNS for a few days now, I don't notice the slightest difference. I tried OpenDNS awhile back too, fast, but I didn't like it since I couldn't really find what I was searching for. Right now I'm running Comodo's (yes... I know ;)) DNS and still no difference to me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:47:21 AM »
Yes, the OpenDNS, navigation is the pits and the Dashboard settings are even worse, but once set-up great.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:04:48 AM »
I just use OpenDNS' IP addresses not the Dashboard.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:02 AM »
 ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
I've used Google's DNS for a few days now, I don't notice the slightest difference. I tried OpenDNS awhile back too, fast, but I didn't like it since I couldn't really find what I was searching for. Right now I'm running Comodo's (yes... I know ;)) DNS and still no difference to me.

there's no such thing as Comodo DNS   ;D it's rented from NeuStar's Ultra DNS  ;)
http://www.ultradns.com/

sded

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
I tried the GRC DNS tester, and L3COM is still the fastest for my location, Google was the worst by far. OpenDNS pretty good.  And my ISP nameservers are very good for uncached and dot com lookup.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:45:27 PM by sded »

pinnacle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »
sorry , but ill stick with my providers servers

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
I tried OpenDNS awhile back too, fast, but I didn't like it since I couldn't really find what I was searching for.

What exactly were you looking for?

I don't find it that cumbersome, really.  The IP's are listed right on the front page, the login is right there, and they hold your hand through the setup if you actually want to create an account and manage the settings.

Seemed ok for me.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum