Author Topic: What a mess!  (Read 6399 times)

YoKenny

What a mess!
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
My friend's XP Media Center system was invaded by Virut a while back and she asked me to help her get the pictures off it.

To my horror it was a pirated XP system  :o

It had no anti virus application and she looked at me like I was talking Greek when I asked her what anti virus application the system was running.

I'm now rebuilding it as a Win98SE system with an old CD I have from my dead PIII system. 

What better way to spend a cold, dreary Winter day than by helping a friend.

She has all her pictures on her digital camera flash cards so I'll get them later and restore them for her.

I'll put avast! on it and let her know that it will only work untill the end of 2010 or there abouts.

Offline PTRPRO

Re: What a mess!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »
Actually, only a few more weeks.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
Official to the end of 2009, however as one of the Alwil team expressed his own opinion that he believes 4.8 will be supported for 6-12 months 'after' avast 5.0 is officially released.

So that would by association mean win98 would effectively be supported for the same period.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:43:45 AM »
O how I hate Win98SE! 

Let me count the ways:
Its an AMD Duron processor and I can't find the correct video driver for it so its stuck at 640x480 resolution.
It has Realtek audio but I can't get the audio to work even with the latest AC' 97 driver

I even tried to update it to WinME with the same result but at least it found the Realtek NIC so I can connect to the Internet.

When support ends for avast! I switch the system to Clamwin and have to make sure she updates it at least dayly and run a scan.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:49 AM »
My friend's XP Media Center system was invaded by Virut a while back and she asked me to help her get the pictures off it.

To my horror it was a pirated XP system  :o

It had no anti virus application and she looked at me like I was talking Greek when I asked her what anti virus application the system was running.

I'm now rebuilding it as a Win98SE system with an old CD I have from my dead PIII system. 

What better way to spend a cold, dreary Winter day than by helping a friend.

She has all her pictures on her digital camera flash cards so I'll get them later and restore them for her.

I'll put avast! on it and let her know that it will only work untill the end of 2010 or there abouts.
Maybe the person who took her computer to repair it stole her licence key and give her a not geniune windows to her.It is very common here.

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
Its an AMD Duron processor and I can't find the correct video driver for it so its stuck at 640x480 resolution.
It has Realtek audio but I can't get the audio to work even with the latest AC' 97 driver

I even tried to update it to WinME with the same result but at least it found the Realtek NIC so I can connect to the Internet.

Hi YoKenny...

Let's see if we can give you a hand :)

Does this driver help with the audio at all?

Also, I/we need to get some additional hardware specs from you. Please download and install this utility and see if it will tell you the various devices, including your graphics chipset. If you post back with a report, we can help you out finding drivers if you need it. Also, is this a whitebox or is it from Dell/HP/Compaq/Gateway, etc.? If so, what is the "make and model" of the system?

Best Regards...

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:08:38 PM »
@ ardvark

I tried the AC'97 driver but it won't install as it does not detect the hardware.

I'll try the other utility next time I power it up.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
Progress a little bit at a time.

I installed Belarc Advisor (Everest is not free ) and found that the system is a Gigabyte KM133 800MHZ so now I have 1024x768 graphics but still no sound.

I think it may be a Wireless adapter that is detected as a Realtek adapter as I have disabled all Realtek adapters in the BIOS.  :'(

I am going to remove it but I have to find a protector as I don't want to leave the case open.

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »
@ ardvark

I tried the AC'97 driver but it won't install as it does not detect the hardware.

Hi YoKenny...

Is there a yellow exclamation point next to the sound card/chipset in the device manager? It's possible that the chipset requires a more specific driver than what the generic AC'97 will cover.

Best Regards...

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

I installed Belarc Advisor (Everest is not free ) and found that the system is a Gigabyte KM133 800MHZ so now I have 1024x768 graphics but still no sound.

Hi YoKenny...

There is a free version of Everest at the link I gave you. ???

If you reenable the adapters in the BIOS, the program should identify what kind of device it is.

Best Regards...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:51:59 PM by ardvark »

Omega40

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »

Hi YoKenny...

If you reenable the adapters in the BIOS, the program should identify what kind of device it is.

Best Regards...

ardvark,sweetie..I have been using Everest for a number of years and just recently found out that the CPU Temp controls are way off. Everest temps are much lower than what is really there. Check with your Bios screen.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

Hi YoKenny...

Best Regards...

ardvark,sweetie..I have been using Everest for a number of years and just recently found out that the CPU Temp controls are way off. Everest temps are much lower than what is really there. Check with your Bios screen.

Its heating up right now:

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
I can't find a KM133 on giga-byte's site.  Tried a GA-KM133 too.  http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_List.aspx

Could you open the case, grab a flashlight and look for a model number printed on the board?  Sometimes (at least with ASUS boards) they'll put a sticker on or near the ports too (like the parallel port).

Or is it an add-in audio card (plugged into a PCI slot).  If so, then the easiest way to find drivers for that is to turn off the computer, UNPLUG IT, remove the card, and look for identifying numbers on it.  It might say clearly, or there will be a couple sets of random crap.  google searching each one should help narrow it down.  Then we can go to the manufacturers website to find the driver.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »
Thanks for looking scythe944

My friend took the system home this morning and she was quite happy that it was working.
Actually it is quite a quick system on the Internet.

I never got a chance to put an anti virus application on the system but she will be back here in January so I'll mention it to her then.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
Well, that's good then...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum