Author Topic: Boot time scan  (Read 13502 times)

Jelle

Boot time scan
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:18 PM »
Hi.

I recently had a problem regarding a phis. I was told to activate my windows and had to insert my credit card information. Avast and an antispyware saved my ass. I used a boot time scan from avast to remove it so I could use my computer again.

Now, the boot time scan is grayed out. How come this has happened?

I did search for this issue, and I found out that you cannot boot time scan on a XP/vista 64 bit. Well, I am using XP 64 bit. I know I did do a boot time scan before on this system. It also says in task manager that it is running 32 bit (?), so it should be able to make a boot time scan, right?

I do not know why, but I suddenly got mad and wanted all my anti thingy's to run a complete system scan, and for some reason I cannot get avast to scan more than 1,2k files. Then it stops. It does not crash, it just stops scanning there. It does not stop the scan, it just stops scanning any more files.
Is this a known problem?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »
No, the fact that avast is natively 32bit (which can run on 64bit OS) doesn't mean you can run a boot-time scan, the point is you have a 64bit OS and that is currently why a boot-time scan can't be run.

It is being developed for the new version of avast, but it won't be in 5.0, but possibly version 5.1.

Where is it stopping ?

What is your firewall, strange I know ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jelle

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
It is stopping at the file number 1225. When it comes to that number, it just stops.

I have only windows firewall but I disabled that since otherwise I can not play online in some of my games, even after making a exception.
So, currently, no firewall.

But What I do have of anti spyware things is:
SUPER Anti spyware
Uniblue registy booster
Malwarebytes anti-malware

As the only things running.

I also turned off windows update since I installed my windows (like 2 years ago), and have never used it (God I hate that waiting time and those warnings in my taskbar!).

I have been searching around, and I cannot seem to find anywhere posted when the new 5.0 comes (nor the 5.1). Has there been made a date yet?

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
I also turned off windows update since I installed my windows (like 2 years ago), and have never used it

excuse me  ??? or did you just turn off the automatic update and do the check manually ? or are you telling us that you haven't updated Windows since you installed it two years ago  :o  :D

ps: don't insist too much on the boot scan thing  ;), avast bootscan as mentioned by David isn't compatible with 64 bit OS, and won't be before V5.1 is out probably. 5.0 comes after the holidays...so very early next year. 5.1 later, can't tell when at all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:10:22 AM by Logos »

Jelle

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
Yes. I did not update my windows at all. Or well, I remember installing 64 updates when I installed windows, but that is it.

I never check manually for updates, and I do not want to use my time on that. And as it is for now, there is probably 9999 updates available.

Also, I have never seen a computer get more stable, nor more safer to use by installing updates.

Actually, I stopped installing updates since I was repairing a friends computer. I installed like 100 win XP 32 bit updates, and then we had to format it. It got so slow and actually unusable. I do not want that to happen with my computer. I do not have a backup drive big enough for all my backup yet.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:57:46 AM »
Here is one reason to update you OS

QUOTE Microsoft Security:

Is my computer infected with the Conficker worm?
Probably not. Microsoft released a security update in October 2008 (MS08-067) to protect against Conficker.

If your computer is up-to-date with the latest security updates and your antivirus software is also up-to-date, you probably don't have the Conficker worm.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/Conficker.aspx

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:12 AM »
It is stopping at the file number 1225. When it comes to that number, it just stops.

I have only windows firewall but I disabled that since otherwise I can not play online in some of my games, even after making a exception.
So, currently, no firewall.

<snip>

I have been searching around, and I cannot seem to find anywhere posted when the new 5.0 comes (nor the 5.1). Has there been made a date yet?

Unfortunately a number doesn't help, I was thinking of what folder it stops in if it was the same one always ?

Then it could be a very large file in that folder that it may be getting hung on or just takes a very large time to scan.

You certainly like to burn the candle at both ends, don't use windows updates and turn your firewall off at times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jelle

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Pondus: I am pretty sure that I do not have any worms. I checked with SUPER anti spyware. It deleted some cookies and 3 other stuff I can not remember, but it was not harmfull. And to be honest, I really don't want to spend 10 hours in updating my computer, only to find out that it will to so slow I have to format.

DavidR: I use drive E as windows drive. It scans my B drive where I have all my movies and such. This drive is a 500GB with only 1,5GB left of space on it. I stops when it gets to the movie folder. I can not see witch file it is scanning, it just stops there.

Well, we are in the Christmas time, so why not burn some candles?

Anyway, As I wrote to Pondus, I really don't want to spend my time on updating windows. As for the firewall, it has been turned off since I installed my windows, witch is about 2 years ago.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
so why bother with any security software after all, ditch the AV too  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
<snip>
DavidR: I use drive E as windows drive. It scans my B drive where I have all my movies and such. This drive is a 500GB with only 1,5GB left of space on it. I stops when it gets to the movie folder. I can not see witch file it is scanning, it just stops there.
<snip>

There is nothing stopping you from doing a selective scan, @Folder Selection' instead of all Local Disks, select the partitions you want scanned and don't select the movie folder.

Jelle

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Logos: Because I had a phis on my computer. I HAD to activate windows, otherwise I could not use my windows. Then I had to insert credit card information. Microsoft has nothing to use that for. It was here where I installed avast to get my system cleaned. I have thought of uninstall it, but I might as well let it run, it has cached allot I was downloading as virus.

DavidR: That does not help he scan my movie folder. Not sure there is anything in there, but I just never scanned it.

Now, I let it stand for like 3 hours while I was playing cs 1.6. Can it really be that after 3 hours it only scanned 200GB? It seems slow to me. When I scan with SUPER anti spyware it usually takes an hour to scan C: E: and B: drives.

I have in total 1,1TB of files on my computer. And as I said, only 1 hour for SUPER anti spyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
SAS doesn't scan files greater than 4MB, so you really can't compare the two scans.

On my system a Quick SAS only scans 7000 or so files, where a standard scan without archives (if you are enabling archives, I wouldn't bother they are inert) scans 4 times as many files and I don't have a huge amount of data.

You have never clearly stated what type of scan it is that you are doing, Thorough, with archives ?
Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

In the window of the scan it shows the last file scanned, that should give a reasonable idea of the folder it is in and the likely next file if it follows the same sort of order as explorer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »
Detection of SAS is much much lower than a full antimalware product like avast.
So, two scannings can't be compared.
The best things in life are free.

Jelle

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
Oh okay, I see, thanks.

I have enable archives scanning and set it to thorough scan. Since I just for a month ago got avast as the first anti virus on my computer for 2 years. But I am very sure that I did a boot time scan to remove that phis I had. And as you say, boot scan is faster.

However, I set it to normal scan and see where I end up. Thank you for your time to explain it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
You're welcome.

A Standard scan without archives should make a considerable difference I believe.