Author Topic: I Think My Email Was Stolen  (Read 6400 times)

BRANDONN2008

I Think My Email Was Stolen
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:18:21 AM »
Today I went to Nexon.net to register for a game called Combatarms, and when I started to register, it said my email was already being used. This has me worried someone got my email even though I don't post it all over and NEVER gave my password away. I also can't contact the SOBs at Nexon to tell them the email given was mine. Is there a way to make sure it was hacked and what should I do now?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:24:03 AM by BrandonN2008 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I Think My Email Was Stolen
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »
email addresses really are easy to get hold of, I have emails that have never been used that are on spam lists.

There are many ways to get them, if you us it to communicate, then it is on someone's email address book, if they become infected then their address book can be harvested and used for many purposes.

It depends on what the email address is, if from hotmail, yahoo or gmail, etc. then there are random name generators that will try and come up with a validaddress@adomain.vom, etc. If the first part of your email address is a word/name then they use a dictionary attack method using common words and names attached to hotmail, yahoo or gmail, etc. and they have a valid email address.

So as you may now see you don't have to give any password away for an email address to be harvested/generated. If you password isn't strong it won't take much to crack anyway.

Though why they would want to do this on a game site I have no idea.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pinnacle

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
Okay here is a suggestion every month i change my email password its a pain but heck better then the trouble you have currently. but its a email; address only thing is to change to a subuser account if its webmail or change the email address to new one if gmail hotmail etc. geez that bites dude
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:15:31 AM by pinnacle »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:24:33 AM »
Just create a new account if you want to register in that game

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:27:50 AM »
Today I went to Nexon.net to register for a game called Combatarms, and when I started to register, it said my email was already being used. This has me worried someone got my email even though I don't post it all over and NEVER gave my password away. I also can't contact the SOBs at Nexon to tell them the email given was mine. Is there a way to make sure it was hacked and what should I do now?

Hi,

From personal experience with Nexon, I have gotten that same message with an email account I set-up 10m prior. I don't know if its just an issue of theirs or not, but better safe than sorry.

On a side note, I use Lastpass for my email address, generated a 25 character/symbol/number long password ,haven't had any issues yet.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »
Ok, I've made a gmail account, and am trying to change my email address that mail gets sent to for important things like student loan stuff, that's what I was most concerned about since those emails have a lot of personal info in them. It's sad though, I never once got spam even with my hotmail account.

Scan

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
probably some one wanted to use an email that its name is similar as yours and miss spelled it so it has your email name.
why not just Check if their is a Registration Email in your inbox?
and besides a smart person would change the password , no one is just looking for personal info and leaving the mail wide open.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
There wasn't an email from them in my inbox. I'm probably just being paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
too bad you don't use Gmail, you could have told if someone did login to your account with an IP that doesn't belong to you  ;)

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
Good news, my email wasn't stolen. I tried to enter birthday and email to get login name and password for Nexon and it gave it to me. Apparently I made an account last year I forgot about. Stupid me. It's weird though since I tried that yesterday and it said the info was incorrect.

Alan|Cvette

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
Haha, well congratz. Enjoy the Combat Arms hackers  :D

Merry Christmas Brandon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
Good news, my email wasn't stolen. I tried to enter birthday and email to get login name and password for Nexon and it gave it to me. Apparently I made an account last year I forgot about. Stupid me. It's weird though since I tried that yesterday and it said the info was incorrect.

He He, the mind/memory playing tricks on you ;D

However the points I mentioned about strong passwords and non-name/words as part of the email address help prevent there harvesting or misuse.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »

He He, the mind/memory playing tricks on you ;D

However the points I mentioned about strong passwords and non-name/words as part of the email address help prevent there harvesting or misuse.
My cousin used to sign in a lot of website the result,now I dunno who uses her email for advertisement purposes!